what species of monitor is this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unique_creatures

Not so new Member
Reaction score
went to a friends place the other day and i wasnt sure what type of monitor this was. He said it was a Sand Monitor but it look exactly like my other friends yellow spotted monitor.

Can anyone help with which one it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 373
Looks like a sandy, a photo including the tail would help. A yellow spotted monitor is a different animal.
There is still a fair bit of confusion with the whole Gouldii family because of the massive range and re classification. The creation of mongrels by breeding different locales and sub species doesnt help.

No need for a photo of the tail, that's a yellow spotted monitor, Varanus panoptes

They look quite different from Varanus gouldii, regardless of tail colour (not to mention that I've seen Varanus panoptes with yellow tail tips, anyway)

Ha :oops: , is my face red !?! Ill pm you Crocdoc,if dont mind, ive got some questions:oops:.

def panoptes..... Croc Doc is correct

Cheers,
Scott

No need to get red faced, dozerman, it is a tricky group. No problem sending me questions via PM, either (or on here for that matter). The one thing I imagine you'll ask for that I'd find difficult to answer, is definitive features for distinguishing the two species from photos, because sometimes it's an overall 'look' that's hard to define with specifics.

No need for a photo of the tail, that's a yellow spotted monitor, Varanus panoptes

They look quite different from Varanus gouldii, regardless of tail colour (not to mention that I've seen Varanus panoptes with yellow tail tips, anyway)

Crocdoc, l agree with you that its quite different to a ( Varanus Gouldii ) and l also have seen ( Varanus Penoptes ) with a yellow tail tip and they are ( Varanus Penoptes Rubidus ) accurs in the Pilbara Gascoyne Region of Wastern Australia, and is redder with no dark bands on tail tip.

So your friend thinks its a sand monitor and he's wrong, is he keeping it as a pet? Or did he find it in the wild? Cause if it is a pet and he's treating as though its a sand monitor.... well then.....

The throat marking are a better diagnostic than tail tip colouration, there are also massive behavioral differences between panoptes and gouldii.....

there are also massive behavioral differences between panoptes and gouldii.....
I agree. I've yet to see a wild gouldii hold its ground and challenge me the way many panoptes do.
108377816.jpg

108377813.jpg

Even their stance while walking around normally is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back