what to feed geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLIFFO_83

Reaction score
I caught a few marble gecko's outside last night and I have no idea what to feed them. I cut up a meal worm and threw that in the container but they haven't touch it so far.

any advice

Hey mate,
catching reps without a special permit is illegal so it's best to release them as soon as possible
but if you do have a permit; insects like crickets they will eat

release them and apologise to them for the stress you have caused them, Wild animals are not there just for your enjoyment.
If you would like to keep reptiles get a licence and buy a pet and get the advice you need to do it properly.

release them and apologise to them for the stress you have caused them, Wild animals are not there just for your enjoyment.
If you would like to keep reptiles get a licence and buy a pet and get the advice you need to do it properly.

And "wild reptiles" are any different to captive/"pet" ones? As far as I knew, a wild EBD (for example) is exactly the same (species) as a captive/"pet" EBD. i.e. Both are Pogona barbata. (Unless it was hybridised in captivity with say, a CBD - Pogona vitticeps - or something.) ;) They all originated from wild populations. And realistically, all still are, in fact, wild animals.

Do you apologise to your reptiles each day for keeping them hostage in your little enclosures/pits/tubs (even if they are 3m sq. enclosures/pits its still nothing to an uncontained/unfenced environment)?

The main difference I see, is that these captive/"pet" ones were brought up in a captive/mostly artificial environment, a lot still don't get all their requirements met, haven't fully adapted, still dont like being handled and some may have become dependant on humans for food (and a steady, constant/continuous food source all the time), shelter or whatever else. Although that is less likely in the world of reptiles, their instincts are pretty strong and hence still very much wild. i.e. Most, if not all, are still opportunistic feeders and will gorge themselves regardless as its built into them to take advantage of food while its there, incase they dont get anymore for the next week/month/year etc.

Many, if not all, still suffer in some way, shape or form, no matter how hard/good we try to replicate nature and their natural environment. As you can't exactly compete with nature. e.g. A fluorescent UV light is still no comparison to real sunlight etc.

Either way, you get what I'm saying yeah?

Sorry, I find posts like your's quite funny. And slightly hypocritical/contradictory, and kinda harsh. Each to their own I guess. :D

its illegal mate but if u do buy one, ill help u with them as ive kept them for a while

ok I get it, dont want to start a big thing here....but captive bred reps would have started off wild along the family tree.

But the law is the law

Okay.... Well I haven't got a long speech but usually wild caught animals don't eat when suddenly put in captivity with new surroundings and being frightened and what not so it's best if it's put in back in the wild plus it being illegal and all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back