what would a boa be worth over here???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine that zoos are able to breed exotics under the guise of captive breeding programs for the purposes of re-introduction and inter zoo exchange programs. Regarding the Komodo, my parents purchased my sponsorship for me for a Chrissy present and were shocked to find out that I couldnt take him home for weekend visits (they actually asked if I kept it in the house or the backyard):roll: The poor oldies never really understood the whole herping thing :oops:

Deano said:
Just a question on that are Zoo keepers aloud to breed exotics, and if they are what do they do with all the hatchlings they have?

By 'allowed' I assume you are referring to the law? Yes, zoos are allowed to breed exotics as much as they want, as far as the law goes. But, the offspring can only be disposed to other zoos, so breeding large numbers of anything exotic is silly unless there is somewhere to place it. If a zoo did do something like that, there would be repercussions from the other zoos in the region. All the major zoos and many of the smaller fauna parks in Australia and New Zealand belong to ARAZPA - the Australian Regional Association of Zoos Parks and Aquaria - and all work together to manage the wildlife held in the zoos in this region.

So yes, zoos can breed exotic reptiles, but only if there is a place for the offspring.

Zoo Keepers have to abide by the same state laws as everyone else in regards to any herps they keep at home. They certainly don't take their work home with them in that regard.

:p

Hix

hmmm. what do they class as a "zoo" lol $2 guided tours of my house and animals every saturday from 1pm-2pm!!! now gimme my flamin chameleon!

playwell said:
The Facts:
* They are here
* They are not going anywhere

* All the down sides are already here (What ever diseases etc) whether you like it or not. Putting ones head in the sand does not fix it nor do many pointless revenue chasing stupid fines.

All the diseases are already here?

What an astounding piece of gross misinformation that statement is! Where did you get that idea? Certainly not from a vet!
playwell said:
What I'm saying, just because the shiny bums say it is illegal doesnt make it right.

And just because you disagree with them doesn't make them wrong.
Just because you don't have all the facts doesn't make them wrong.

Hix

it really wouldnt surprise me if the vast majority of diseases that could be brought in via exotics are already here. it'd be a bit presumptuous saying they all are...

its a shame, but its reality.

as for people saying our endemic species are better. theyre not. just because theyre endemic doesnt make them any better, or visa versa.

Theres this shop in Druit st in the city and you can buy cheap boas there.
Its called Photios Brothers.

They also sell sequins and loose feathers and stuff. Very big with the Mardi Gras crowd.

Of course, this begs the question - how do you know about this shop Peter? Or should we be calling you Peta?

Hix

I; Mr Hix; once upon a time had a relationship with a very flamboyant young woman who's garb was accessorised heavily with things purchased from Photios Brothers. I was also a prop maker/buyer/sourcer(pre internet)tly knew where to obtain a lot of things including boas both exotic and erotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back