what would happen if my dogs nailed a burglar in my backyard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you get a sign that reads something like "Very hungry dogs, known to eat trespassers" or something to that effect? That way you could argue that your dogs were not being agressive, just eating their preferred meal.
That would be great but alex has these "wardogs" and i cant see him argueing his way out of it in court.
His loyal pets are the x-breeds that puts the fear of god into a lot of people.
Not me though, i love em.

if your in any doubt contact the local council and ask them for their advice or phone the local cop shop,

yeah people are ignorant idiots really like we have had dogs similar to her for years like my dad used to have one of the same cross as a hunting dog he was also a very popular stud dog. and was very gentle and docile. useless guard dog though the house got broken into once and my parents came home to find he had raided the pantry and was sitting on their bed eating like nothing had happened:rolleyes:.then i just saw this one in the local paper when i was still in gippsland so went and had a look and she was almost the same as him
quite possibly related because he produced a lot of pups:)

i wonder whether a sign saying "free castration just climb over fence" would be legal;)

That would be great but alex has these "wardogs" and i cant see him argueing his way out of it in court

LOL... One of my dogs is a Maremma, a 50kg plus ball of white fluff that was bred to kill wolves. She looks so sweet and innocent and wouldn't hurt a fly - until she thinks the flock (us) is being threatened. I've seen a pack of camp dogs fall to the ground and roll on their stomachs in submission when they've decided to attack our smaller retriever and Emma has come to the rescue. They must have thought "look at those powderpuff dogs," until they got close and realised how big Emma is. I dread the day someone tries to break into our house. I know Emma is quite capable of inflicting a lot of damage.

We have a sign on our gate that reads...'Be Aware of the Dog'...

Possums do sound like there is a person on your roof....

We have a sign on our gate that reads...'Be Aware of the Dog'...

Possums do sound like there is a person on your roof....
yeah but this was a thumping sound on tiles :? and their was actually a little bit of mortar which had come loose. so i doubt its a possum:?

yeah but this was a thumping sound on tiles :? and their was actually a little bit of mortar which had come loose. so i doubt its a possum:?

Well, you will just have to be brave and go out there with a spotlight.......they will probably get such a shock, they will fall off the roof LOL

When i first saw the maremma on bourkes backyard about ten years ago i thought to myself, 'this is a great dog" and now i have a few friends who say the same as you s.v.
Must be cute as pups , got any pics?

Well, you will just have to be brave and go out there with a spotlight.......they will probably get such a shock, they will fall off the roof LOL
or i could just borrow some lanolin grease from work and coat the roof in it;)

It is really difficult to give you an answer to the question you have posed, there are just so many potential variables that would alter the outcome.

Your biggest fear should be a civil lawsuit from the injured party against you, that's where things get very interesting.

You can be sued for hurting an intruder in any way , unless you or your family are at risk of injury . If they are armed , a screwdriver or even a stick will do , you can go for it . Someone down here a while ago took a sword off a home invader and chopped him up . Real Chuck Norris stuff . Everyone was happy , except the dead guy .

If you have signs warning of the dogs, saying enter at your own risk ( or you take no responsibility for people who are on the property without your consent etc) i guess you would have a legal leg to stand on, although i dont know how strong it would be.

If your dogs take a chunk out of a burglar, and they were there for your herps, what would happen is... i would buy you a trophy & a case of beer, and you'd go down in herping history as a ****ing legend! :D

A bit of "reasonable force" with a baseball bat should prevent them from suing...

When you find the body of the person that was attempting to break in, (I can't go any further, I'll get an infraction). Let's just say if no body is found and bleach ruins blood stains for DNA testing ...

Just drag the burglar carcass out onto the road!

Was thinking the same thing!! :)

Although I know a guy that lived in a second story unit and came home to find his flatmate cowering behind the lounge and a guy trying to get through the verandah sliding door.
He went out there and confronted the guy and the guy tried to go him.
First reaction was to push the guy and he went over the verandah.
He is a pretty honest guy and he called the police.The sergeant came around , the guy was still lying on the ground knocked out,and he told him what happened.
The sergeant said "It looks to me he got hit buy a car?"
"No i pushed him!!"
"No he got hit by a car, nudge, nudge, wink, wink" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back