what would happen if my dogs nailed a burglar in my backyard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be sued for hurting an intruder in any way , unless you or your family are at risk of injury . If they are armed , a screwdriver or even a stick will do , you can go for it . Someone down here a while ago took a sword off a home invader and chopped him up . Real Chuck Norris stuff . Everyone was happy , except the dead guy .

Was that the home invasion by 2 blokes, armed with a gun and a sword?
The home owner disarmed the fella with the gun, shot the bloke with the sword (dead) grabbed the sword and snapped it off inside the bloke previously carrying the gun (I think). Im pretty sure he got off on self defense.

I'd be checking with the local authorities as to the law on this. I had been warned about not putting up "beware of dog" .. "vicious dog".. signs too. So check it out.

My dog was an American Pitbull, and the sweetest thing unless you threatened the family. We ignored the advise and put up a sign that said "My dog can reach the gate in 3 seconds... how fast can you run?" A stupid little punk decided to test the waters and ended up with a scratch on his leg that didn't even draw blood!! We got slapped with fine of $1000 and a warning that if there were any other problems we would have to put her down.

So be careful.

my sister inlaw is a junkie and she camecame around the other night and went through my car, my staffy heard her and went nuts at the door. i looked out the window(and much to my surprise lol) saw her.it would have been a hilarious legal battle, but i let the dog out and unfortunally she got back in the car just in time (damn) .

i have two dogs of the same three breeds, weighing around that weight.
i have a " beware of dog " sign on the gate and have been told by law students iknow
that will cover you but not your
dogs. depends on the damage they do.
i think someone jumps in your backyard and they deseve they wrath of my dogs, dont
want to sound macrbe or the like

i have two dogs of the same three breeds, weighing around that weight.
i have a " beware of dog " sign on the gate and have been told by law students iknow
that will cover you but not your
dogs. depends on the damage they do.
i think someone jumps in your backyard and they deseve they wrath of my dogs, dont
want to sound macrbe or the like
yeah these scumbags deserve it but i would do alot more to them than the dogs would for example shattering joints and bones with a 14lb hammer and a block of hardwood.then perhaps a little bit of waterboarding too;)

I rather liked the sign I saw for a gate that stated "My dog can make the gate in 2.4 seconds.......can you??" heh heh........ maybe a deterrent, and you're not saying you have a vicious dog neither!!

I rather liked the sign I saw for a gate that stated "My dog can make the gate in 2.4 seconds.......can you??" heh heh........ maybe a deterrent, and you're not saying you have a vicious dog neither!!
yeah but theres always gunna be some dumbass stupid enough to test it out whether for a dare or by their own choosing.

Very true Alex, very true, I guess I kinda like quirky signs, and this one caught my eye, a bit like the "slap the bull' scene in Wild Hogs!

I had a situation in my yard with my dogs and a little scumbag. Where we live sides onto a field and we constantly have kids out there. I didn't mind very much as some where my kids friends. About a month ago we had a little scumbag jump our side fence, so he could steal my daughters basktball.
My dog (a kelpie) let him in but didn't want to let him out...........................i found this kinda funny.
As the little scumbag was trying to jump back over the fence, my dog jumped up and nipped him on the back of his leg.
After this i had threats of my dog being put to sleep etc from the parents of this scumbag, who somehow thought it was ok for their son to jump my fence.....Odd, i know.
After much looking into it, i found out that if the person was found to be tresspassing then theyre at fault.
The dog was protecting his property.
All this went to council and i can off much better than the scumbag. We had a visit from local laws, to ensure our dog wasn't savage or dangerous.
We took down the sign saying "Beware of the Dog" and replaced it with "Guard dog on duty, trespassers will be prosecuted"

I had a situation in my yard with my dogs and a little scumbag. Where we live sides onto a field and we constantly have kids out there. I didn't mind very much as some where my kids friends. About a month ago we had a little scumbag jump our side fence, so he could steal my daughters basktball.
My dog (a kelpie) let him in but didn't want to let him out...........................i found this kinda funny.
As the little scumbag was trying to jump back over the fence, my dog jumped up and nipped him on the back of his leg.
After this i had threats of my dog being put to sleep etc from the parents of this scumbag, who somehow thought it was ok for their son to jump my fence.....Odd, i know.
After much looking into it, i found out that if the person was found to be tresspassing then theyre at fault.
All this went to council and i can off much better than the scumbag. We had a visit from local laws, to ensure our dog wasn't savage or dangerous.
We took down the sign saying "Beware of the Dog" and replaced it with "Guard dog on duty, trespassers will be prosecuted"
:Dgreat so may as well get that manstopping doberman i want lol:lol: nobody is going to steal my herps :)

What about "Trespasser will be prosecuted by the Guard dog on duty"

i would watch your dog carefully for the next few weeks. I had a rottie who foiled a burglers attempt by barking, two days later, im presuming it was the same low life, threw some bait into my yard. I found my much loved dog dead the next morning.I wish who ever did that could have seen my kids heart broken faces

Civil law is not my strongest subject, however, I can definately inform those from NSW (and I would suggest Civil law is fairly similar across the board) that any sign indicating that your dog is dangerous ('Beware of Dog' and the like) is NOT a good idea - very much a bad idea as it looks terrible in court that you knew full well that your dog could do damage...

...as most would know, dog that is declared 'Dangerous' must be kept under strict conditions, if you have a dog that you, as the owner, indicate is dangerous - and it is not under these conditions then there is a strong Civil case against you...(I know, it's a joke - but it's not me that supports these civil libertarians! ;) )...

...in regards to someone in your yard - who knows? the Civil system is an absolute travesty...in saying that though, if you look up s.25 of the Companion Animals Act 1998 (NSW) you will find the rules regarding liability (and again...this is NSW legislation)...basically...

If your dog attacks someone who is LEGALLY in your rear yard - your screwed...(fair enough)

but...If your dog attacks someone who is ILLEGALLY in your yard - and your dog is NOT deemed DANGEROUS or RESTRICTED you are not liable for the damage...(common sense finally legislated)...

...of course anything can be tested at court and I have not looked up Case Law - however, you at least have legislation on your side...

I've heard of burglars coming and removing roof tiles and coming in through the roof so maybe this guy came and removed a few tiles so he could rob you later.
But I would think putting up a warning sign of some kind might be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back