Whats a better pet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Pygmy bearded dragons or central bearded dragon? im a beginner and want to know what species is the best to keep. cheers!

They are both excellent reptiles to keep. Pygmies only require half the space. Its best to only keep one lizard in each enclosure because they often fight.

They are both excellent reptiles to keep. Pygmies only require half the space. Its best to only keep one lizard in each enclosure because they often fight.
if I get 2 females will they fight? or are pygmies solitary creatures? Im going to be letting them run around alot in my house so it may be a bit hard to find

I prefer the full sized dragons as I personally find them much less skittish and more fun to get out and play with. The pygmies are great to observe because they're incredibly active and fast, they dig around allot and hunt ferociously. My Central is very laid back and loves to just chill out on the lounge with me, that being said it all comes down to how they were handled when they were hatchlings and individual personalities.

I prefer the full sized dragons as I personally find them much less skittish and more fun to get out and play with. The pygmies are great to observe because they're incredibly active and fast, they dig around allot and hunt ferociously. My Central is very laid back and loves to just chill out on the lounge with me, that being said it all comes down to how they were handled when they were hatchlings and individual personalities.

So individual personalities aside, do you think that a pygmy and a central that was handled the same amount as a youngster would both be as laid back?

I have been having this debate with myself too... central or pymgy.... but mine also extends to monitors.

I have been told by others on this website that pygmys are a lot more social than centrals. So, I have also been told that you can keep up to 3 pygmys together but most people on this site don't like keeping centrals together..

I've got both and they're both cool animals to keep :) I think the pygmy's are a little more friendly though.

So individual personalities aside, do you think that a pygmy and a central that was handled the same amount as a youngster would both be as laid back?

I have been having this debate with myself too... central or pymgy.... but mine also extends to monitors.

Keeping in mind I have limited experience, only knowing of animals in mine and my friends collections.
My pygmy is completely unhandleable as he does a dash as soon as he is taken out of his cage and seems to stress out rather terribly. My friends pygmy has been handled to excess (over an hour daily) and she still cannot relax her hold on him as he will bolt away as soon as there is the chance, she still won't give up on him though.

My central is the calmest, most laid back, gentle and friendly reptile I have ever met. He sits with me for hours and does not need to be confined at all when hanging out on the lounge. He likes to look at what I am doing but won't ever run or if I need to answer the phone or go to another room for a while, I can guarantee he will not have moved an inch. He comes on drives with me to pick my partner up from work and sits on the dash in the sun. He is a wonderful pet and a big part of our little family.

My friends central is a female and is more active then my boy but not at all skittish. She just likes to run around taste testing everything, she isn't fearful or interested in hiding. She is just greedy when it comes to food...

In my experience, Centrals make better pets to have out and about but Pygmies are much more interesting to watch in their cage.

Aren't pygmies better in groups than their bigger cousins are, less chance of conflict with pygmies.

Take a look at bluetongues too if you want an great pet lizard.

Last edited:
Aren't pygmies better in groups than their bigger cousins are, less chance of conflict with pygmies. Both great pets.

Take a look at bluetongues too if you want an great pet lizard.

I've kept Pygmy's in groups of up to seven without any conflict.

I find it hard to pick a favourite,I currently have 3x centrals & 4x pygmies of various ages and they all have their moments of curiosity,humour,friendliness and just plain sit and stare

Also remember depending on what state you're in you may need a different license for either. Here in Vic, EBD's and CBD's are on basic but Pygmy's are on an advanced license.

i own both species and i find the centrals are a lot calmer and are not so skiddish. my pygmies are not so bad i have them in a group of 3 all about 6 months old. never had a fight, though the last one i bought has had her hand and half her arm ripped off by a sibling wen they were a few weeks old and with the previous owner.

i keep centrals together and with my 3 females i have never had a fight, with 2 males i have only ever had 1 scuffle wen i first put them in together but it was only Boss showing the other male who is in charge, there was no blood shed.

the boys have been together for over a year, with heaps of room and fed daily and veggies always on offer and no girls round they have nothing to fight about. but this does not always work some males will fight no matter what.

for a beginner i would suggest you get one or 2 centrals and keep them separate. though with pygmies you can get 2 or 3 of the same size prefably 2 females and 1 male or 3 females in a large enclosure and there should be no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back