Whats the best material to build with?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachy89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this threads been done already, but anyways: Whats the best material to build an enclosure out of? (what type of wood sorta thing). Also, whats better to have as a front, glass or a perspex sorta thing?

IMHO 16mm MDF, however others may have their own ideas. Depends a lot as well on your resources i.e. budget, access to materials. Some materials r easier to work with than others.

16mm HMR melamine coated particleboard - a bit lighter than MDF, and a lot easier to work with (doesn't split when screwing if you haven't drilled the right sized holes). Bunnings sells it for less than $40 a sheet (2400x1200), but it is fairly poor quality. A kitchen place might cut them for you, they will be very accurate and use a higher quality material.

Glass definitely better in every way than Perspex.

Jamie

A few people use Melamine which has a smooth sealed surface, you just need to seal the ends where its been cut and exposed.

Glass or perspex i guess depends on location. Glass will last alot longer and clean easier as cleaning perspex can scratch the surface and make it dull but if its a spot where someone can fall into it, perspex maybe safer. I've never built a snake enclosure but have built many, many custom car audio enclosures and we always used thick glass as perspex would just get scratched and dull in no time.

I'm noticing alot of people say MDF and melamine, is there any reason why construction ply or a solid wood arent used?

I'm noticing alot of people say MDF and melamine, is there any reason why construction ply or a solid wood arent used?
Probably price. Those are more expensive than mdf or melamine

There isn't really a best material to use considering that the most significant factor is price. If you can only afford the lower end, MDF/Melamime, if you can afford the upper end, solid wood/marine ply. Figure out your budget then choose whichever material falls with in it. Once you have figured that out, you then process the material as required.

But wouldnt they last longer and be less susceptible to damage from humidity and such? (Ignoring price for this one) I was mainly wondering if there were any other particular reasons for people to not use them for enclosures

Is there a weight difference between ply and MDF/Melomine?

I have used both melamine and wood, both work well. It depends on what you want to spend and how you want it to look.

Hardwood should last longer with minimal care. Softwood like pine will need to be resealed every few years otherwise the moisture will make it rot. Also be careful what woods you choose as some can be harmful to your reptile eg. treated pine.

One thing you could also consider is timber veneer. It is a lot cheaper than proper hard wood, should last a long time if the particle board is sealed and looks just like the real thing.

To be honest I don't think there is any best material, we all just have different budgets and preferences.

I was leaning more towards wood. Mainly because I tend to break things that aren't particularly strong in the first place :p and I find it to be more aesthetically pleasing. Is there a particular wood anyone would recommend I use? (for heat reasons or whatever). Will staining and varnishing it be harmful to the animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back