What's Your Feeding Ritual?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My "ritual" first starts off with me sacrificing a goat while stating an ancient incantation to summon the feeding responses of my snakes. I then dance in a circle around a fire while a shaman blesses the rodent......

Seriously, feed hatchies every 5-7 days and adults less. I think moving a snake to a "feeding tub" before feeding and then moving back to enclosure is a waste of time.

Generally its first thing i do Monday morning. I'll take my girl out of her tank and start to cook up her breakfast with her around my neck, she knows its cooking as she can obviously smell it and is very interested in the general direction of the food but never bites. That is until i put her in the feeding box and she knows it's game time and will start striking hard and fast at anything that moves past her. Once she's started downing the first mouse i'll start cooking the next and even if she's finished it she will quite happily just wait for the next one to come along. While shes eating ill do a quick clean up of her tank and such.

And thats my ritual. :D

I don't have any special ritual or schedule at all. I just feed in enclosures when i remember to.

As a follow up days after starting this thread, I'm feeding Mrs Roper - deliberately - in all sorts of places and in different ways (on tongs, laying on the ground, etc). She takes the food anywhere. Very handy.

I take mine out and put it in a tub for feeding every six days. Just with papertowel lining the bottom and a towel covering most the top so he feels safe. I had alot more success in that then when he was up on a vine in the enclosure. In a tub he takes feeds more enthusiastically and as soon as the pinkie is in sight (as opposed to me basically chasing him round the enclosure with the pinkie trying to get him to strike and constrict) and seems to strike and coil it's head instead of it's middle and it's easier for me instead of weaving through vines to get it to him. I also use tongs because tongs = less chance of him missing and getting me ;)

Last edited:
I don't have any special ritual or schedule at all. I just feed in enclosures when i remember to.

+1. They don't eat every second tuesday at 11am in a natural environment, so my schedule isn't going to be modified to suit them. Every couple of weeks. In their enclosure so I don't have to mess with them after they've finished.

Having said that I also don't think it matters. In this case I reckon whatever is good for the owner is fine. If routine helps go with it. If out of the enclosure seems to help go with it.

We have sacrificial alters! (tables to hominids) and sneak dinner in when they're distracted, They're just suitable rocks but that is of no consequence to hungry snakes, Sweetie hovers over her SA detecting molecules of past meals for hours ha ha.

DSC_0024.jpg

That's it on the right, the colour is natural btw.

Last edited:
My feeding ritual? Hmmmm... lets see.... Get in car, drive to maccas.... pig out......drive home..... sleep 8)

Oh, you mean my snakes?? :lol:

I just feed them every 10-14 days. I feed them in thier enclosures because you arent supposed to pick them up after they have just eaten. Food always goes in the right hand door, everything else I do thru the left hand door, so they know which door food comes in from.

Works for me ;)

Bit like a Maccas drive thru ratbag??? Order at one window, collect at the next. :p

Food always goes in the right hand door, everything else I do thru the left hand door, so they know which door food comes in from.

Gonna steal that idea :)

i feed my snakes inside there enclosure with forceps obviously so they dont associate my hands with food. i just dont want my snakes to associate being taken with feed time for obvious reason. i like them to think being removed from there space means handling time not nibbling time. :)

My thoughts exactly. I feed all my snakes inside their enclosures. My sub adults get fed weekly and adults fortnightly. I have a terrible memory so it helps me to feed on the same day every week.

BTW, it looks like a Diamond/Coastal intergrade

Last edited:
I feed in the tank, i honestly have had no issues with doing this with all my reptiles, you just have to avoid opening the cage right after they eat.

I just wait until she starts "hunting" for food, throw her a thawed rabbit and that's it. sometimes I feed every 3 weeks, sometimes in 4 depending on when she starts roaming around for food, she knows when she is hungry, a calender doesn't.

call me crazy, but it seems that when you do things under a precise schedule, you make the animal picky and sensitive to change.

Keiko is so chilled already and she's just been put into a bigger enclosure. i Feed her every sunday at the same time and it has been that way for a year. past few months i've been feeding her in her enclosure about every 7 days and shes fine to pickup a few days later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back