When Forcefeeding goes horribly wrong!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice bit of stitching there! Great outcome too. I guess the oesophageal wall heals relatively quickly, most mucosal tissue seems to heal very fast. Doesn't look like there are any adhesions internally either - I guess he'll have small meals for a while!

Jamie

Ok that was a intense read and the photos to match!
totally did the right thing by sharing the story! ( everyone is now ******* It to force feed :D hahahaha
But wow that was a Ripper of a story in more ways then one ! :p
keep us posted on Lucky's progress

What a little trooper and very fortunate little guy to have such a quick thinking/acting carer! Hope little Lucky continues to progress and grow strong!

Great to see the little trooper survived...

As this is a educational thread and I do commend your courage as Craig mentioned, well done, no flaming guys as this stuff has substance that we all can learn from!!

I too have had to force feed and thank God have not had a problem, but what implement did you push the pinkie down with?

I use cotton buds as they are a blunt, but have heard a few horror stories like this, but yours has had a better ending.

Moral being don't use a sharp or metallic implement like your tweezers that are handy at the time, as you can and will puncture the pinkie and inadvertently rupture the esophagus. (Not saying you did this, but I know others have...)

Cheers...

Forgot to mention, nice sutures...lol

Great forethought under the circumstance and I can only imagine your stress when this happened....well done!

I used round tipped hemostats, I have used this tool for years and i actually did feel like a tool when it happened. I also lubed it up with KY-jelly, who thought that would come in handy. Snakes that do not eat for extended periods seem to get very weak skin. I am thinking this is due to the fact that their body can not sustain protein formation and tissue formation. Its sort of like when people turn anorexic, their body starts to use muscle to sustain functions in the body as there is no fat left. I have never had this happen in twenty years of keeping snakes.

Absolutely awesome....to have the skills and courage to have a go at saving Lucky's life at this stage is very impressive.

Hope Lucky sticks around for many years to come....wouldn't mind seeing how all his scares turn out down the track.

Good save.

I too have had to force feed and thank God have not had a problem, but what implement did you push the pinkie down with? I use cotton buds as they are a blunt, but have heard a few horror stories like this, but yours has had a better ending.

the rare times Ive resorted to "assist feeding" (I prefer this term than forced feeding) I've used a 14 guage parrot crop needle that is stainless steel with a round ball at the end thats smooth and not sharp to help gently push the food item . I also only use freshly killed pinky mice as they are much firmer than using a thawed item and pinky mice being small easier to use (jmo) I've also sometimes used a mouse or small rat tail.

I prefer though to wait and let a hatchie feed by himself when they are ready.. and have only resorted to assist feeding when I felt its been necessary.

very educational story CP.com and thanks again for sharing it with us. keep us informed about lucky :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back