when should i put my turtles into a pond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crush the turtle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i was just wondering when is it ok to my turtles in a pond.. thier in a 6ft tank atm
but when the turtles go into a pond ii wanna put my water dragon thier..., when people have thier turtles in ponds what u feed them.. or do u just have fish in thier???

thanks
Dylan

so i assume that you will have an enclosure around them since you are going to be having water dragons in there.

You can just feed them with small dishes. Mixture of chopped veg and dry pellet.

Just the norm stuff

How many you got and what sort?

ohhh whoops, i just re read over it, it sounds like i wanna put the water dragon in wit the turtles out side, nooo, i wanna put the water dragon in the 6 ft tank, i was askin when is the earlest i can put the turtles in a pond out side, and what do i feed the turtle when thier in the pond ;D

Depending on the age of the turtles i don't see why you can't move them now?

And you should just feed them what you give them currently. Perhaps have some feeder fish and shrimp in there aswell as some plants?

If you put them out there and they are too small you will find that crows will happily knock them off for you.
So you will have to wait until they are off decent size. What sort are they? but yeah feed as mentioned above

normally anything over 10cm is suitable to go outdoors but i would have some form of cover till 15cm

Keep in mind turtles are quite good escape artists (both digging and climbing). So make sure its totally enclosed.

thier eastern long necks im feeding them fozen fish (not frozen when i feed it to them) live fish and blood worms thier eastern long neck turtles, 2 of them are about 15 cm (shell lenigh) other one in about 10 cm,, i live in melbourne, so wont it be to cold to put them in now??
ill buy a wooden fence to put around it and probliy a mesh top

Put freshwater fish, water snails, yabbies, water plants, etc into their pond. But, you cannot be certain that they will catch enough food themselves, so give them supplementary feeds.

Depending where you are, the best time to move them outdoors is around late Spring. At that time, the pond temperature and your current tank temperature are probably going to be similar, and the overnight temperature will not drop too low. Check the pond and tank water temperature with the same thermometer to be sure.

Once they are outside, they will adjust to the warmth of summer, and then cool down slowly and naturally as we move into next Winter.

iv got 3 yabbies in the turtle tank atm witch have been thier for about 2 months, but htier allways hiddin behind rocks and logs, so the turtles dont eat them, but no i dont think they would have probz eating them

hey everyone i was just wondering when is it ok to my turtles in a pond.. thier in a 6ft tank atm
but when the turtles go into a pond ii wanna put my water dragon thier..., when people have thier turtles in ponds what u feed them.. or do u just have fish in thier???

thanks
Dylan
in my experience
turtles are good to put in ponds after their second winter indoors

i dont put feeder fish imn my ponds i just feed them every few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back