when you go on holidays

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a trusted friend to look after your reptiles ? or family member ?
Carpet pythons ect are fine for 2 weeks or even a month with no real care as long as someone can check on them to make sure the heating is all good but monitors and geckos need a bit of daily love .

The longest i have gone away is just over 2 weeks and I only had my Bredli at that stage. My sister was housekeeping so she got a friend who has pythins to come up and remove his poo and change his water for me. My mum and dad are going away for around 4 weeks early next year, she has a pygmy bearded dragon, but i'm going to relocate the enclosure and the pygmy to my place so I can look after them whilst she is gone.

Went on hols for 5 weeks, Brother in Law (and his 10yr old boy and 8 yr old daughter) thought it was fantastic fun feeding my darwin once per week. My mother in law made up a bottle with a 40cm length of hose so she could top up the water with a minimal amount ouf cage door open.

With great difficulty! I haven't been on holidays since I've had the lizards, but when we went to Bali last year and we only had the pythons, Our housemate checked their water and heat every couple of days, and none of them ate til we came back. He fed the dogs and cats, and I boarded my ferrets and rats. It ended up costing me just under $100 just to board the two ferrets, because I didn't trust my housemate to be able to look after them. We were only gone 2 weeks though, but if we had to have all the animals boarded, it would have cost us more than the trip itself!!
I'm not sure what I'll do if I need to go away for a while, now that I've got the dragons and monitor.

We were planning on taking a 3 week holiday to go to Soundwave this year. Our animals stopped us doing that. Lol. Way too many, no friends to ask to babysit and way too expensive to board all of them. Oh well. :p

Thanks for reminding me that I need to organise pet sitting soon for when I'm away for 6 weeks in June! I was away for 3 weeks last year and my husband managed to kill one turtle (he put a tank divider to separate some guppies and the poor turtle got stuck and drowned :cry:). My sister accidentally killed my iguana many years ago (this was back in Indonesia) so I won't let her mind my animals ever again. Someone in my mothers group has volunteered to care for all my animals but she's afraid of the bearded dragon :(

Anyone here live around Sydney inner west and willing to beardie sit for 6 weeks? I'm happy to compensate your time & electricity cost in the form of sitting fee/buckets of woodies/crickets/frozen mice/rats/packs of cigarettes/alcohol from duty free/you name it :D

==============================================================================

Hmm... from browsing this forum I found out members have been concern about asking other members for help looking after their animals. I've been members at the Australian Freshwater Turtles forum for a while and they even created a special page with a list of members who are willing/able to babysit turtles. Is this because snakes/beardies are more prone to getting disease from others or is there other consideration?

Last edited:
I think it can be a bad idea to ask friends or family to petsit animals aside from dogs and cats, because things that we as their owners take for granted as "common sense" wouldn't even occur to them. For example, I was happy to leave my dogs and reptiles in the care of my housemate, because even though I knew the dogs wouldn't get walked and the snakes wouldn't get handled, it was only 2 weeks, and he lives with them anyway, so he knows the procedures and standards etc for their care, and I trusted that he would pay enough attention to them to realise if anything major was wrong (we also left him backup money just in case something did, so he could take them to the vet if necessary).
Even though he lives with the ferrets and rats too, he literally has nothing to do with them, so I just didn't trust that he would be able to look after them, or know if something wasn't right. I would never trust my parents with my reptiles, because they know nothing at all about them, and moreso are not interested in knowing anything about them. Especially over longer periods, it's not as simple as just feeding and cleaning poop.

We have a friend who used to look after her exes snakes (including Vens) while he was away working interstate all the time, At xmas time she was watching mine and even rang to let me know that she had shed and that it was a good clean complete shed with nothing to worry about. Was a bit disappointed to miss the first shed since I have owned her but it was such a relief to know that someone that knew what they were doing was looking after my baby while I was away.

I have a pit bull an american staffy a cat and my various reptiles my reptile /pitbull savy friend has recently moved interstate so i am already in spin about what to do with my menagerie when i want to take holidays .

Thanks for reminding me that I need to organise pet sitting soon for when I'm away for 6 weeks in June! I was away for 3 weeks last year and my husband managed to kill one turtle (he put a tank divider to separate some guppies and the poor turtle got stuck and drowned :cry:). My sister accidentally killed my iguana many years ago (this was back in Indonesia) so I won't let her mind my animals ever again. Someone in my mothers group has volunteered to care for all my animals but she's afraid of the bearded dragon :(

Anyone here live around Sydney inner west and willing to beardie sit for 6 weeks? I'm happy to compensate your time & electricity cost in the form of sitting fee/buckets of woodies/crickets/frozen mice/rats/packs of cigarettes/alcohol from duty free/you name it :D

==============================================================================

Hmm... from browsing this forum I found out members have been concern about asking other members for help looking after their animals. I've been members at the Australian Freshwater Turtles forum for a while and they even created a special page with a list of members who are willing/able to babysit turtles. Is this because snakes/beardies are more prone to getting disease from others or is there other consideration?
People on here are paranoid because some of these private collections run well into the $Ks and more not to mention peoples secret breeding projects,ect ect

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back