When your reptiles pass away

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wjhat is wrong with SA_goannas method of disposal?
Why does "plastic bag then bin" need to be a tongue in cheek comment?

Although it's what I do with any deceased reptiles (just put them in the bin) I was probably a bit blunt with the way wrote it, hence my apology above. Personally I don't see the point in cremation, burial etc. My Jack Russell was put down a few months ago & I left her at the vet, no idea what they did with her body, she's dead so what's it matter?

I think I would bury the animal in a beautiful place. For me, returning the body to the ecosystem seems like the proper thing to do. I hope by the time I face that sadness I have my own home so that the beautiful place can be my backyard.

I believe i would choose a beautiful, natural greenery area and bury it deep in the ground for the next form of life to grow. However I don't believe it's your place to criticise if someone disposes their deceased animal in the bin. There is no need of cremation unless you prefer it. Just my oppinion. Very sorry for your loss :cry:

Thanks everyone for your condolences and your opinions. I appreciate it. While I don't want to judge the people who throw their deceased reptiles (or any pet) in the bin. I just could never ever do that. Yes they are gone, but their body remains. It's more than just "decaying meat". I want to be respectful to his body, and not throw him out with the garbage. Just seems horrible to me. We don't just throw loved ones in the trash when they pass. We treat their body with respect and give them a proper farewell.

Thanks again everyone.

theres really good pet cremation services available, i used one called Petrest, they pick up the body and return teh box of ashes a few days later, guaranteed to be your pet, not just some ashes from a bunch of randoms.

:shock:How exactly could they guarantee that?
I doubt most people have DNA samples from their pets

:shock:How exactly could they guarantee that?
I doubt most people have DNA samples from their pets

their brochure says that each animal is cremated in a seperate compartment to ensure you get the right ashes, rather than a bunch of animals thrown in together,....

Just bury it & let nature take its course.
You might get a bumper crop of tomatoes next year. LOL.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks everyone for your condolences and your opinions. I appreciate it. While I don't want to judge the people who throw their deceased reptiles (or any pet) in the bin. I just could never ever do that. Yes they are gone, but their body remains. It's more than just "decaying meat". I want to be respectful to his body, and not throw him out with the garbage. Just seems horrible to me. We don't just throw loved ones in the trash when they pass. We treat their body with respect and give them a proper farewell.

Thanks again everyone.

Here, here. Couldn't agree more.

I've gotten a lot less sentimental as I've gotten older, but these days it does depend on the animal. I have a couple of ferrets buried in my front yard that will be disinterred when we move (around a year from now), and If their skeletons are in alright shape, I'm thinking of getting them mounted. If they're not, then I will probably re-inter them at the new place.
However, other animals I will throw in the bin, and even though it sounds awful, if I had an animal that died of say, trauma but was otherwise healthy, I wouldn't hesitate to feed it to something else. After all, as someone else said, the animal is dead, it is no longer the cherished pet it once was, it is just a corpse.
Personally, as long as I died from something that wouldn't harm them, I want to be ground up and fed to the dogs. Apparently that's illegal though. Pfft.

If you are looking for a nice memorial that is transportable, you could (depending on the size of the animal), bury it in a large pot plant with a tree or rose bush etc. That way it is tasteful, respectful, and you can take it with you when you move house.

I am also in the process of designing a tattoo that incorporates the names of all my "special" animals. Nothing too large and ridiculous, but something I can add to over time.

Well remind me when I call it a day to get my missus to call up Cleanaway, Veolia or one of those bin mobs to see if they can build a bin in the shape of a coffin. :oops:

I am also in the process of designing a tattoo that incorporates the names of all my "special" animals. Nothing too large and ridiculous, but something I can add to over time.

couldnt agree more, I have a lifelong memorial to my partner close to my heart forever more, no headstone or plaque could ever compare to my tattoo in memory of her

We have always buried our pets in the backyard - we own our family home however. I think we will always do this no matter what the animal -Cat, dog, snake, turtle, bird......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back