Where do they come from

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes they can eat the bloody things in to extinction, but we can't sort out a breeding group on paper...people whine about poaching but half the crackers you see today wouldn't be here if someone didn't do it, cowboys going and catching anything is wrong imo but if it's for the good of the hobby I'm all for it.

I agree with point from both of you, but I do think the money is far better off going in to back in conservation of the species being removed from the wild in an attempt to offset the damage, than into some land owners pocket.

---------- Post added 30-Dec-10 at 12:35 PM ----------

I agree with point from both of you, but I do think the money is far better off going in to back in conservation of the species being removed from the wild in an attempt to offset the damage, than into some land owners pocket.

that is referring to gordo and waterrat

yes they can eat the bloody things in to extinction, but we can't sort out a breeding group on paper...people whine about poaching but half the crackers you see today wouldn't be here if someone didn't do it, cowboys going and catching anything is wrong imo but if it's for the good of the hobby I'm all for it.

Oh dear god, the simple mindedness around Oenpellis is absolutely ridiculous. Go and get a clue about what you're talking about then comment.

And BTW we had breeding oenpellis in captivity, it was the government that had them removed from our hobby.

Maybe instead of people paying money to whoever, they should have to return a pair of reptiles back in the same location for every animal they they remove.
That way the hobby would have new animals to work with and the wild population wouldnt suffer.

Just a thought.

Have a little think about this

The vast majority of GTPs in Australia have at least some Indonesian blood in them
GTPs are totally protected in Indonesia
That is ONLY because of wild caught specimens being exported
There are 5 licenced breeders in Indonesia
[myself included]
Only one is breeding for resale in Indonesia, [myself] all the rest are breeding for export only
BKSDA is our Parks and Wildlife equivalent
They know that thousands of GTPs are kept illegally but turn a blind eye so long as no babies are sold
Imagine one possible future
If the predation continues and I cannot get enough "Legal GTPs" on the market
one day there may be none existing in the wild

This is what happens in an unrestricted market

Every week i get asked to supply GTPs to Aussies yanks etc etc

The reptiles in Australia are reasonably well protected
Keep it that way

---------- Post added 30-Dec-10 at 12:35 PM ----------

that is referring to gordo and waterrat

Unfortunately, the "conservation value" payable in Qld is not going anywhere. It covers the cost of the preparation of a "conservation plan". I have been tangled up in this up to my neck but till this very day no one from the good Department was able to explain to me what this "conservation plan" is, why does it have to be implemented and what purpose does it serve.
In other words, the money goes to departmental administration - that is, into a black hole.

let me rephrase it then. why isn't demand for the animal enough to warrent captive populations?

Where is the demand and where is the action demanded? Here on APS? Have you (and thousand others) written to the TN government and the Feds explaining your "need" for Oenpelli pythons? Have you got the skills and facilities in your Redlands and northside to keep and breed this unique species? It's easy to post one-liners here, try to do something real for the cause.

Wallypod
I was just explaining why Open collecting is a nasty business

Yes i totally agree that not allowing breeding is very stupid
But that is what happens in many places

As my babies get big enough enough to breed they will be allowed to
That is because they have papers to show they were legally bred from Captive Stock

You present system in most of australia works well
NT is way behind the times with there capture to resell program
[but that also keeps snake relocation cheap up there]

The OP is really the only one left without plenty of captive bred specimens
Find it
Protect it

I love slitherers
But no matter how well I keep mine
they still look better up a tree

Wallypod
I was just explaining why Open collecting is a nasty business

Yes i totally agree that not allowing breeding is very stupid
But that is what happens in many places

As my babies get big enough enough to breed they will be allowed to
That is because they have papers to show they were legally bred from Captive Stock

You present system in most of australia works well
NT is way behind the times with there capture to resell program
[but that also keeps snake relocation cheap up there]

The OP is really the only one left without plenty of captive bred specimens
Find it
Protect it

I love slitherers
But no matter how well I keep mine
they still look better up a tree

Can you explain what you mean by that? I think we do alright as far as species are concerned. The open ended collection permits for some removalists i think needs a significant rethink but i don't think we are that bad at all.

What I meant is that in the NT snake relocators are permitted to sell ANY reptile they are asked to move

A large number of BHPs and some other beautiful specimens end up on the open market just because they are pretty

YES I totally agree that except for that aspect Australia is way ahead of most other countries

Protect your animals while you can
When its too late .....it is too late

What I meant is that in the NT snake relocators are permitted to sell ANY reptile they are asked to move

A large number of BHPs and some other beautiful specimens end up on the open market just because they are pretty

YES I totally agree that except for that aspect Australia is way ahead of most other countries

Protect your animals while you can
When its too late .....it is too late

Not everybody with a permit to relocate can sell what they catch but yes you are right. The way the some relocators have worked in the past has left a bad taste in many peoples mouths.

As far as i'm aware there are limitations on what they can sell, i may be wrong but from what i've been told thats the way it seems

As far as i'm aware there are limitations on what they can sell, i may be wrong but from what i've been told thats the way it seems

Nope no limitations Hornet. Any reptile (the permit sometimes excludes crocs) that is taken on a call out can be kept and sold. So long as the remover has the appropriate permit.

Oenpelli's can be found - a friend found one a few months ago.
Found one,exactly..But there NOT as common as Coastals,correct....Im saying that i doubt theres many around,and the ones that are should be totally protected..This would be the only python here in Aus that doesnt have a good population..Your friend who found one a few months ago,how many in his lifetime has he came across....Just hope the authorities can do something about this species,before its too late...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back