Where do you keep your herps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy another house and move into it then add your herps.

Let the kids think that THEY own them , so you can chuck one or two enclosures in each bedroom! :D:lol:

I have two enclosures in my room, a 6x2x2 and a 3x2x2, and managed to fit both in (plus a double bed, tallboy, desk and the rest of it...it's a largish room) but just rearranged a bit until I found something that suited...so maybe some spring cleaning and rearranging is due to get what you want.

do that or just start building an extension :D

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions. Given that we are a little attached to the kids, I think we will keep them. But there are 5 of them, I like the 'give them each one in their bedrooms' concept - 5 kids, 5 herps. Don't have too much space in the back yard (living in NW Sydney - the home of the postage stamp backyard), but I will walk around the house and put enclosures on any suitable flat surface that doesn't move. While being relatively new to reptile keeping, I have found it to be quite addictive. I was worried about having animals in high usage areas (living room, kitchen), but it seems that that is not such a problem. Really just need to work on that bigger house.

Thanks again :)

i keep mine in my room...got 3 x 3ft x 2ft x 2ft boxes, a rack with 16 tubes and im getting another 3 boxes inthere when my dad gets the wood...and then:

after that im going to be getting 2 16ft walls of the 4 car garage after its been built! one walls going to have snakes, the other...more snakes and some lizards!

This works for a lot of customers.

Attachments

• f9d1_1.jpg
    f9d1_1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
  • PB080002.JPG
    PB080002.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Auzlizardking. I think I just cleared the perfect spot for one of them!! Now to find the $1100. My poor husband. With all these fantastic suggestions, he won't have a leg to stand on :)

Money if I have enough money my house would be full of snakes but I don't think my partner would be over happy about that....lol

i keep mine in my room...got 3 x 3ft x 2ft x 2ft boxes, a rack with 16 tubes and im getting another 3 boxes inthere when my dad gets the wood...and then:

after that im going to be getting 2 16ft walls of the 4 car garage after its been built! one walls going to have snakes, the other...more snakes and some lizards!

You are making me jealous! I want your house!

Money if I have enough money my house would be full of snakes but I don't think my partner would be over happy about that....lol

Yes - money!! There is always something to limit the number of snakes and lizards that can be kept. My kids have this ever growing list (as do I - let's face it). Just need to find the money to fund it!!

does anyone find that there's any problems with having snakies in the loungeroom? ie: close to the surround sound? we don't usually have it up mega loud but would the vibrations annoy them?

at the moment we have a diamond hatchy on my hubby's bedside table and a bredli hatchy in my office but both will obviously need bigger quarters down the track and the lounge/dining would probably have the most room...

try this

try having an enclosure made into a coffee table. looks awsum as a centre piece in your loungeroom. another nice looking enclosure is also a tv unit. either with the enclosure under the tv or either side of the tv. hope these have given you some ideas

Snakes hear via vibrations on the ground like waves make a boat move up and down and side ways so it is the same effect for snakes and movement on the ground.
So I'd stay clear of surround sounds systems, TVs etc.

Snakes hear via vibrations on the ground like waves make a boat move up and down and side ways so it is the same effect for snakes and movement on the ground.
So I'd stay clear of surround sounds systems, TVs etc.

cheers mate that's what i thought :)

moosenoose

Latest in Snakes and how they Hear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting article on the latest findings with how snakes can actually "hear"

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...e&topic=latest

Quote:
Snakes Hear Through Their Jaws

Scientists have shown for the first time how snakes can hear, despite their lack of external ears and internal eardrums.

The US and German research shows that snakes have two hearing systems, one via their jaws, providing valuable insight into snake evolution.

The work borrows techniques from nautical engineers and is reported in the journal Physical Review Letters.

"It's amazing how little we know about the biology of snakes," says co-author Bruce Young, a biology professor at Washburn University.

"It's nice to work in an area that is so under-explored."

For years it was assumed that snakes couldn't hear, that they sensed prey by smell, taste, and in some species, special heat-sensing pits near the nose.

Basic experiments during the 1970s showed snakes could hear, but didn't explain how.

Now we know.

With each tiny footstep, a mouse or other prey radiates waves through the ground and air the same way drops of water ripple through a pool and produce a single drip sound.

Just as a ship bobs up and down in response to a wave in the ocean, a snake jaw resting on the ground responds to sound waves carried by the ground.

"The lower jaw of a snake is essentially a ridged cylinder," says Young. "So in that respect it's not terribly different from a ship."

Bobbing up and down

The researchers used the exact equations that measure a ship's movement to model how a snake's jaw would move in response to waves moving through sand or earth.

Just as a ship can move in six different directions (heave, pitch, roll, etc) so can a snake's jaw (up, down, side to side, etc).

And just as a ship is more stable the deeper it rides in the water, snakes often bury themselves in sand to make their hearing more precise.

Buried, a snake can more easily detect the differences in the way its jaw moves.

Sent to the brain

After a sound is picked up by a snake's jawbones, it travels into the cochlea, where nerves pick up the signal and transmit it to the brain.

By hearing through their jaw bone and through a traditional ear, snakes essentially evolved a second way to hear, say the researchers.

Humans also have a very crude version of this ability. If you hit a tuning fork lightly and place it in the air next to your ear, the sound will be faint.

If you lightly hit the tuning fork again and then place the base against the bone behind your ear, the sound becomes much stronger.

While a human jaw is one complete bone, snakes have two jaws, an adaptation that allows them to swallow prey larger than themselves, but also apparently lets them hear in stereo.

Professor Catherine Carr, a biologist at the University of Maryland who was not involved in the research, says the work is "truly interesting".

"Transmission through the skull may have been how the first land vertebrates heard," she says.

i have been toying with the idea of building an enclosure intio the floor of the hallway for some time now. with extra extra thick glass that u can safely walk over. some thing unique that i think would look fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back