Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
not sure on the type, but it lives in my reptile room feeding on escaped roaches....

Indicus
The New Zealand green gecko is indeed a cool critter. I used to breed these as a kid. Their gestation period was 10 months and they only ever gave birth to two. One of the neat things that I liked about them was that they were diurnal and would always be on display. In many parts of NZ they are very rare due to land clearing. I advertised on the radio in the east coast district for over a year and never had one phone call. There is several species now recogonised but when I was a kid this was not the case and no one seem to know about the form found in my district that was a dark floro green with 6 or so yellow rosettes on its back and had a jet black tongue and inner mouth. If I could keep them over here legally I would be a very happy man. When I went back to NZ a couple of years ago customs got all excited because they thought I must be intending to smuggle some out. They searched me, my family and my luggage for over an hour and held the departing plane up for 10 minutes. I wasn't very impressed.

yes pilbara i kept alsoas a kid a friend caught a pale yellow one on waiheke island it gave birth to two bright yellow babies which she gave one of to us we had for along time was amazing but even way back then they werent really easy to find cheers

You have just made me jealous longtom. The yellow ones are amazing. If you're from that area originally you would also probably know of lake Kiatia (excuse the spelling I been away to long ) a dried up lake bed further north. This is (or may now was) a great spot to find greens.

yes kaitia we used to catch yellow and green ones just out auckland swanson but i think this areas now a housing estate we also had one sort called a forest geko and a simlar one called a pacficus but they looked broun and black more sort of along the lines of a robustas like from here also were faster that the green ones

The brown species we used to find were always found in the tree we used to call the cabbage tree and those geckos were nocturnal. I can't say that I have seen that particular tree growing in Australia though so may be it might be native to NZ. Do you remember a book many years ago on NZ geckos that had I think a yellow gecko on the front cover?.

Hey Fuscus,
I'm pretty sure the 2nd gecko you posted on this page is a binoe's (Heteronotia binoei). Could be wrong.... :roll:
cheers mate.

Geckoes are certainly neat little guys. I currently keep 38 species. Most of my stored pics are too high res for use here but Dan Lay from the UK has used a lot of them on www.nephrurus.com if you want to have a look.

This has got to be one of the most interesting looking Gecko's I have seen.
Check this out!
PristurusCarteri.jpg

Photo taken from www.nephrurus.com

Wow, that last one is weird. Awesome little guy. Geckos certainly are a diverse group of lizards. Really awesome. I myself would like to get some amyae, I reckon they are cool little guys.

have to admit i am not a hugh fan of geckos but some of those pics are really cool! I went to the vhs meeting on friday night and i found that very interesting. I have a couple of marbled gekos (i think) and they are alright.
one thing i can say is that they seem to be the easies of the lizards to care for! just going on what i learned at the vhs meeting.

Herptrader,
It's a Scorpion gecko (Pristurus carteri) found in Dhofar and a few other places in the middle east.

Neil

Wheres everyones gecko's?

Hi everyone, this is one of my Leaftails... Hope you enjoy !!!

TeZa !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back