Which UV do you use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Those of you that keep reptiles requiring UV (beardies for example), I'm just curious as to which type of UV light you use and whether you have had any problems with it. There is a lot of talk in the States about how compacts are dangerous and certain UV tubes are completely useless (the NEC T10 is supposedly no good..?) and I'm just wondering if there is any truth to their claims.

So, which UV light do you use... is it a tube or compact, and how high do you mount it?

I'm currently using Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 tubes about 10 inches from the dragons.

I have an Exo Terra 2.0 compact UV. I've got a sheet of fine mesh on top of the tank, and a deep tank lid sits on top of that. The UV light and a reflector are mounted to the top of the tank lid, so it's around 55cm above the tank floor.

I have a snake (no lizards), but I've found it beneficial to provide a photo period. My snake gets to have an idea of what time of day it is, it helps keep her metabolism ticking along, and she seems to enjoy basking in the light.

MissB, there are a number of people on this site that use the NECT10's and haven't had any problems to date relating to their beardies not receiving sufficient amounts or type of UV.

I've gone through 3 ______ (left blank intentionally) compacts in the last 6 months which has led me to keeping my animals outside and they're doing SO much better than they were before.

Hey Rob, yeah I had a feeling there were quite a few people using the T10's without any dramas.

I'm setting up a few new enclosures at the moment and would like to use them, so I was kinda hoping to hear from anyone that uses and recommends them.

After speaking to people that do use them and seeing their animals, in excellent condition, I'll be using them when I bring my animals indoors again.

Yeah I was under the impression they were quite well regarded over here.

Does anyone know the recommended distance for the T10?

tank depending in a quite long tank a compact wouldnt reach full lengh while i use a compact in my beardies enclosure one is only a small enclosure while the other is outside and the light is just there for reinforcement .
i have had no problems with the compacts keeping in mind to exo terra compacts are brighter than other i have used

I use the best UV light on the market, though some pet shops might dispute this.

Attachments

• UV light.jpg
    UV light.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 41
Lol Jason. As much as I'd love to get my beardies outside into some natural sunshine every day, it's not always possible :(

I using a 13w Repti-Glo Compact globe it says 10.0 UVB :D it was so expensive like most globes ($44.50)

Sorry about the big pic :oops:
compact_bulbs_50.jpg

I use ZOOMED POWERSUN UV 160w for animals that i consider need high uv output, mostly my larger species of goanna, and use ZOOMED REPTISUN 10.0 for dargons etc.
The powersuns are a little expensive around $140 a globe but are what i would recomend to anyone

Those tests were done many years ago. Technology has come along way since then and it would be interesting for a new test to be carried out with many of the new 10.0 fluoros on the market. I have used a 10.0 compact max pack and found it was stil producing useable amounts of UVB 7 months later (12hrs/day).

As jason said though, you can't beat the real thing.....LOL. Not that it is convenient to bring the sun into your beardy tank......;):lol:

Daz, I just dug up those results :)

It was a URS Compact MAX 10% UVB Globe. After 7 months of usage 14 hrs/day the results were:

6" away: 52 uW/cm^2
9" away: 25 uW/cm^2
12" away: 12 uW/cm^2

The distance measurements were taken from the bottom of the sheild, which is the lowest point on the globe.

I must admit I was suprised just how well that globe stood up after 7 months of usage.

Thatnks for that Codered. I couldn't remember the exact figures.

They don't need sun every day, natural dappled shade twice a week is still better than any UV tube on the market.

Is there anywhere that advises how much UV (in uW/cm^2) and for how many hours a day beardies should be getting?

My adults are outside (the sun is the best source on the market), but hatchies are indoors under UV tubes in tubs.

basically, all compacts shouldnt be used as they emmit uvc and extraudinaryily high amounts of uvb in their first use, which is dangerous. and run out quite quickely.

personally the urs variety of uvb, would be the equivelent of Esu or R-zila. and th eNEC 10 only puts out the minimum amount, on the surface of the globe. as stated before those results are old, and outdated. the beautifuldragons site has more recnet results. and put it up against good quility uvb's for actual and realistic comparisons. such as t-rex active uv heat, megarays, and reptisun 10.0's..

you cant hold onto minimalistic results, and twist them to suit your dragon, the facts are clear people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back