Which UV do you use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all just wondering if i give my lizards and turtles 3-4 days outside in the sun is there any point using UV lights????

Looking at the figures i can't see much point as they're not even close to natural UV

Ben

Hey all just wondering if i give my lizards and turtles 3-4 days outside in the sun is there any point using UV lights????

Looking at the figures i can't see much point as they're not even close to natural UV

Ben

i'd definately use it fro babies since they grow so fast theyre requirements would be heaps higher. my adults do fine with a couple of sunny days a week and no artificial UV. (theyre beardies btw,...)

that being said, i dont breed them, i'd probably get them a light and find a way to make them use it if i did.

Kirby, you keep mentioning UVC in compacts but have nowhere stated where this information came from. Obviously you don't have the technology to test these things yourself, so I assume you have read them somewhere and believe them to be true. I would like to read the scientific paper or the results from some sort of qualified testing. To make these statements is fine, but some proof would be nice.

"6" away: 52 uW/cm^2
9" away: 25 uW/cm^2
12" away: 12 uW/cm^2

^ these results show nothing, at 6 inches, potentially too close in terms of uvc, 52 uW/cm^2 you should be wantign closer to 100+
250-300 being close to natural sun. "

Have you tested the suns rays early in the morning? A lot of dragons bask in the earlier hours of the morning and normally reside during the hotter parts of the day. So they would not necisarily be basking in 'full' UVB rays when they are at their peak. Also, where does it state that they need closer to 100+ UVB? I have heard as little as 30-40uW/mw^2 is sufficient, but have seen no scientific proof on any of this.

I also know lots of people that use URS compacts and batton style tubes and none have had any complaints at all form this product. It seems unusual that only yourself and possible a couple of others seem to have had this problem even though these tubes have been tested as stated by URS.

JasonL, this must be our favourite topic.......;):lol: Out of curiosity, what brand was the type of UV tube you were using? If you don't wish to mention names here, that's fine, can you PM me the details, I am interested in knowing.

Cheers
Daz

A couple of the dragons have done an extra clutch or two than usual, being outside for most of the week and being generally cooler, they are eating heaps less though not loosing any weight and still producing eggs fine though some dragons kept inside under high output UV for a few months developed eye problems, these healed when removed from the UV.

I have a question about this, do you think the fact that you don't keep your dragons under UVB would cause them to have an exagerated effect when suddenly given UVB from a 'high output' UVB light. I imagine it could be similar to a person working indoors all day and never being exposed to natural sunlight. They go to the beach for the first time in years and get burnt quite easily compared to the pesron who sunbakes everyday. Was just a thought!!:D

I have a question about this, do you think the fact that you don't keep your dragons under UVB would cause them to have an exagerated effect when suddenly given UVB from a 'high output' UVB light. I imagine it could be similar to a person working indoors all day and never being exposed to natural sunlight. They go to the beach for the first time in years and get burnt quite easily compared to the pesron who sunbakes everyday. Was just a thought!!:D

Zoomed 10% compacts and I don't think it would have any effect on a single generation lizard, possibly on dragons of multiple gen uv free??

Is there anywhere that advises how much UV (in uW/cm^2) and for how many hours a day beardies should be getting?

I have been told (but I don't know if there is any truth to this) that they require approximately 50uW/cm2 per day.

Code Red said:
It was a URS Compact MAX 10% UVB Globe. After 7 months of usage 14 hrs/day the results were:

6" away: 52 uW/cm^2
9" away: 25 uW/cm^2
12" away: 12 uW/cm^2

kirby said:
^ these results show nothing, at 6 inches, potentially too close in terms of uvc, 52 uW/cm^2 you should be wantign closer to 100+
250-300 being close to natural sun.

URS has already stated that their compacts do not emit UVC.

Also, according to Tracie, beardies require approximately 50uW/cm2 - not 100+ (where are you getting these figures from, just out of curiosity?).

Outside on a sunny day, UVB readings are approximately 250 uW/cm2 (not 250-300).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back