Which UV light to use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

porkosta

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 12 month old pygmy bearded dragon in a 3ft tank. I currently am running a 36' UV tube and ceramic heat lamps. My UV tube is due for replacement and am not sure if I should get another tube, compact globe or mercury vapour lamp.

If I get a compact globe or a mercury vapour I will keep the tube in there for extra light source.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Any info/help please...

Andy

Check out www.uvguide.co.uk for their recommendations regarding mercury vapour and compact UV lights.

Essentially, these lights shouldn't be placed in close proximity to lizards due to the very high levels of UV radiation they put out. The website will give you an idea of how close they can be used, plus this info should be provided on the packaging for the compact fluoros (its about 60cm for the Reptisun 10.0 from memory).

If you already have the setup, my recommendation would be to just replace the fluoro tube.

If the 3' tube is working why change? There have been a few people who have experienced photokeratitis (snow blindness from over exposure to UVB) in beardies from harsh UV products.

If your beardie is healthy then don't mess with a working system by changing to something 'better' as it can cause more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back