"white " barbata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishead

Reaction score
Howdy folks, a couple of weeks ago I got four little white barbatas from a guy with one of the very few if not the only now productive pair left. I've been researching all of the (mostly US) beardy breeders sites and from what I can figure this mutation seems to be a form of hypomelanism. Some claim it to be leucistic but according to the Xspurts true leucistics have blue or black eyes. These guys have normal coloured eyes. These also have clear nails or claws. The US vitticeps breeders are calling the seemingly same mutation hypopastels but I don't want to go there :lol:
I'd really like to try and help to establish and strengthen this line. My big plan is to get a few normal barbatas and outcross to them to get a couple of different lines of het babies and work from there. Assuming this is a recessive thing of course.
I have them under a reptistar 5 and a 40 watt spot that produces a 40 degree basking site down to about 26 degrees ambient. They don't seem to be sensitive to the heat or light and are always bloated full of cricks and woodies and get a misting twice a day.
I'm pretty green when it comes to genetics, any suggestions there?
Bye, Steve.

got any more pics they are amazing!!!

It would be nice to get some more white vitties happening too :)
They're gorgeous fishhead - congrats :D

hi fishead, im happy to see you got some :) theyre awesome arent they.. let us know how you go with them..
Adam told us to use a 2.0 fluro instead of a 5 for health reasons.
didnt his white male look incredible????
we have some normal barbatas to mix them with but were hoping to get some colour morphs also. would love to keep in touch and see how things progress.

Howdy Zard, yeah the big boy is a beauty hey. That's him in the top photo, the flash doesn't do him any justice as usual - his head is dead white with a touch of blue grey patterning down his back. I'll take some photos of the younguns soon.
Would be great to keep in touch about them Zard!
I put the reptisun 5 over them as I convinced myself that they'd need that uvb for growing those little bones. From Fyfes uvb tests - the sun pumps out up to 170 microwatts per square centimeter of uvb. Reptisun 5's produce 10 microwatts per square centimeter at 200mm distance. The original white barbatas were wild caught adults so I guess if the sun didn't burn them the flouros shouldn't. We'll see how we go hey. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on them.
Bye, Steve.

Wow they are incredible. What sort of price would the average herper be looking at for a white baby in the future?

i saw some for sale (probably the ones their talking) only a month a go for $250 pretty sure thats them though as i dont think there would be more for sale they are very unique. but an awsome looking beardie.
when i saw the ad i really wanted one but i couldn't afford.
congrats guys

Fishead, I would not be too concerned re Uv exposure. A 5% should be fine as these guys retain deep melanin in there skin to protect them as apposed to the true albino vitticeps which have no deep melanin at all.
From a genetic point of view you would need to know how the genetics are transferred. If it is a simple dominant/recessive then outcrossing is a little time consuming but worthwhile.
If it is a sex linked recessive (the mutation is carried on the sex chromosome) then you can shortcut the whole thing much easier. If a coloured male is mated to a normal female then all coloured offspring are females and all males are splits (called hets in the reptile world).
If a normal male is mated to a coloured female then all female offspring are normals (carry no white genetics whatsoever) , males will be white or split.
You cannot have a split female in any combination.
If it is some other genetic form then it is out of my league
Ask the original breeder how they first paired them and what they got. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated mate.
So to test things I should pair a coloured male to a normal female. If any coloured babies are produced it is a sex linked recessive mutation and will be sexed as per your post. If no coloured babies are produced then it is a simple recessive mutation and all babies will be normal? Just checking that I've got that straight?
Thanks again for the input mate, I'll get hold of some normal barbata bubs and if all goes well they'll all be ready to go in a couple of years.
Cheers, Steve.

Most likely but an abscence of colour doesn't rule it out as it is an odds game and genetically you could not get a single coloured animal in one clutch and all colours in anaother but this is unlikely.
If it is possible ask the original breeder what they started with. If it was a coloured male and they produced colour in the first offspring then the question is answered.
If it is simple recessive remember all young will be splits in both sexes. These should then be mated back to colour to produce colour hence the long drawn out time period. if you mate splits to splits you may produce 25% colour but the other 75% may be normal or split and you have no way of knowing which is which - a dangerous genetic position to be in from the point of view of Barbata purity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back