Who keeps native mammals??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
id love to keep some native mammals but up here in NSW we cant keep anything other then mice. id love a little glider, possum or wallaby!

I had some wc ring tail possums about 18 years ago Awesome pets! Would love to get some more if they came to be licensed.

Attachments

• joshposs.jpg
    joshposs.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 178
what mammals can u keep in vic?
On the basic licence you can have:

Common Brushtail Possum
Common Ringtail Possum
Common Wombat
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Kowari
Mitchell's Hopping-mouse
Red-legged Pademelon
Red-necked Pademelon
Red-necked Wallaby
Rufous Bettong
Sugar Glider
Swamp Wallaby
Tammar Wallaby
Tasmanian Bettong
Tasmanian Pademelon

And on the advanced license there is also:

Brush-tailed Bettong
Common Wallaroo (Euro)
Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Kangaroo Island Kangaroo
Red Kangaroo
Western Grey Kangaroo

Plus a number of other things on commercial licenses and what not.
South Australia has an even better list IMO!

Josh, that pic's backwards.

Good obsevation mate, didn't notice it till you said.
My mum scanned it ( and those lizard ones i sent you a while ago ) from a photo at their house and sent it to me ;)

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of past and present projects. Ringtail, wallaby and couple of roos

Attachments

• all pics 263 (Large).jpg
    all pics 263 (Large).jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 113
  • pics 054 (Large).jpg
    pics 054 (Large).jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 122
  • tigers 185 (Medium).jpg
    tigers 185 (Medium).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 150
SA list

I couldn't be bothered cutting and pasting it like the last time, so here is the link:
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/bi...basic_animals.pdf?ssSourceSiteId=biodiversity

As you can see there are more wallabies to choose from and they also have things like Squirrel Gliders and Long-nosed Potoroo's, amongst others. I notice the Brushy and Wombat are missing though, and maybe others. But this is just their basic list!!

Are there any breeders of native mammals in vic? Like possums, wombats and roos?

We have kept Ring tailed possums, brush tailed possums and wombats only as rescued animals and all have been released, now days we only really get sent birds and the occasional echidna as we arent on the front line of carers for wildlife vic, we now assist a carer when she has her hands full. i love the brushies but extremely territorial so i like the ringies better as they are communal and will cuddle up together at night to keep warm and also dont do as much damage to you when they go feral...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back