why do things like this happen?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chickensnake

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So i just got home to find that the STUPID MUTT was munging out on my rat colony....grrrrrrrrrrrr the first thing i did was try to get the rat the dog had (as the only one it could catch was 1 of the 2 that where actually my pets not breeders:evil:) then went up to the shed (which i just got put up and just setup for my rats to be bigger space for them instead of tubs...theyre in a big spa bath) and the mesh was caved in and i counted them 2 where missing, one had been accounted for(my pet) and the other was under a piece of tin. The doors blew open due to the heavy wind and the dog just went on in. why do theese things happen? i would of rathered she ate every single one of them bar my 2 pet ones as i have had them for a few years and they where lovely.
just need to vent pretty much, as im verry peeved at the bloody dog

the dog will be sorry when i figure out how to punnish it without being too mean.........mabey give it a bath it hates those to shreds

Ummm... I'm not sure the dog will make the connection at this point in time. If YOU had a secure door, maybe it wouldn't have happened...

These things do happen to all of us from time to time, it's up to us to make sure it can't happen again.

Jamie.

the door was pretty secure but obviously not secure enough, the wind today has been pretty hectic here and im getting it fully fixed once the wind dies down but iv tied the doors together with some rope fornow

Its frustrating but unfortunately dogs have to be disciplined instantly. Sometimes I have found dirty pawprints all over a freshly washed sheet set on the bed and with so few sunny days to hang out, my blood boils.

was chatting to najanaja the other night and his dog took his rats as he was wrapping them and ran off, must be common!

I thought things like this only happens to to me. I feel your anger. Kingsirloin is right dogs need to be disciplined straight away

only way to teach the dog would be to tie him there to watch them, it will make the dog go crazy at first then settle down after it has gotten use to them. plus its the hunter instick in the dog. sorry for bad spelling.

we know but its one way to teach it that they are there and are not food. my mini foxy is a snake kill and i have stop from going for any of my pet snakes.

haha i threw my 'neice' tandia (staffy x kelpie) a rat that a snake had refused...and she snobbed it too!! haha suppose it is a good thing that she dosent like rats then :)

my 2 chiahuahua's are cricket hunters.small dogs hunt small things.hahahahahahahahhh.

Like others have said, whether or not you believe in punishment he won't understand what he's being punished for unless it's done straight away. I have a foxy and when I first got rats he would stare at the cage and his entire body would literally shake. It was one of the strangest things I've seen. As upsetting as it is, it's in their blood to hunt so you can't really blame him for doing what comes naturally

I don't think the dog should be punished at all. You can't blame him when the door wasn't secure and he wasn't previously trained to not go for the rats.

I hope he wasn't punished after the fact. If you want to teach him, put him in a controlled environment with a rat that doesn't have any sentimental value, and train him not to touch it. If he goes near it, give him a smack, when he finally leaves it be, I believe that dogs go whacko for schmacko's :p

Put it down to a learning experience and buy a pad lock, mate. Sorry it happened :(

I had a dog that broke into my chicken run and killed some chooks.....I got a beach fishing rod and ran wire up through the runners and tied it around the neck of the dead chook.....It was like a chook puppet......then i attatched a low volt electric fence to the wire so the chook was live...I then bounced/walked the chook past where i had the dog chained up and of course it ran out and attacked the chook and got a ZAP!!.....the dog looked in disbelief at what had just happened he thought about having another go then i could see him make the decision not to try his luck again ....He assosiated the Zap with the chook...not me.....I then went and let all my chooks out and that dog was actually backing away from them....he never touched a chook again after that......not sure how it would work with a rat though!!!

Ps the dog was not Rosey our Tibettan Spaniel

Sounds like a lot of work to electrify a chook corpse for the sake of training a dog, haha.

lol you're ingenuity astounds me sometimes Guzzo. That sounds like it could work with a rat. Just a smaller puppet to dangle. You're right, if it's a smart dog it only takes one or two zaps to learn. We had an electric fence to stop the foxy escaping (digging and jumping over). After a couple of months it didn't need to be turned on any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back