why do things like this happen?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol you're ingenuity astounds me sometimes Guzzo. That sounds like it could work with a rat. Just a smaller puppet to dangle. You're right, if it's a smart dog it only takes one or two zaps to learn. We had an electric fence to stop the foxy escaping (digging and jumping over). After a couple of months it didn't need to be turned on any more

I think it was better that it made it's own decision about the chook.....I am guilty of setting him up to fail though but the means justified the end in this case.

the dog will be sorry when i figure out how to punnish it without being too mean.........mabey give it a bath it hates those to shreds

its too late now unless you punish the dog at the time whilst its doing the wrong thing it wont associate any later punishment with that wrong thing and you will simply be reinforcing the wrong message.

if it were I, the first thing would have done is smacked the dog and yelled firmly at it and sent it running. and i grantee it would run tail between legs and know exactly that what it had done was wrong.

I think it was better that it made it's own decision about the chook.....I am guilty of setting him up to fail though but the means justified the end in this case.

Lmao... My dads dog killed a rosella once, and to freak her out he put it in her dog bowl. She ate it...

Well for what it's worth I copped a good zap setting it up haha

Hahaha, when I was in HS, my ag class was "rewarded" by people being allowed to link hands and have someone touch the fence...

My farmer freind was going to try it with a rubber snake to try to get his dogs to stay away from snakes as he had lost a few to EB's

The dog needs to know not to do it again.

The same as kids when they do something wrong get punished (smacked or sent to room yada yada)...

The kids don't know what is right/wrong half the time growing up, how can you expect a dog too. you don't condition your kids before things go wrong, how can you expect to condition your dog as well. Everyone learns through their mistakes and misfortunes, kid/dog does something wrong they get punished and they learn not to do it again.

You can't always be pro-active about things and go oh I have rats, condition the dog now!...

Most of parenting/pet owning etc is re-active...

(I'm not comparing having kids to pets... well in someways I am :p )

I agree with a lot of the threads that have been posted. You cant punish the dog now as it will have no understanding of what it is being punished for. Not only that you should never lay a hand on a dog. This will lead to other behaviour problems.
Setting up an electric fence will work or an electric training collar. This will make sure the dog doesnt associate the punishment with you. The timing has to be timed well. A dog has no association to its behaviour after 7seconds.
Another thing you could try is putting mouse traps in the area, a snap on your dogs nose will soon deter it (just hope it doesnt stress out the rats, lol). Sorry for the long thread, dogs are one thing I am educated with

.. If YOU had a secure door, maybe it wouldn't have happened...
Agree. You have to assume that you will get visitors had have to plan accordingly. So far my rats have been visited by carpet pythons, goannas and cats. So far all the rats are safe (well.. as safe as a rat farmed by a python keeper can be ;) )

.. and got a ZAP!!.....the dog looked in disbelief at what had just happened he thought about having another go then i could see him make the decision not to try his luck again ....
Standard aversion therapy . If done properly ( and it sounds like it was ) it can be very effective on dogs. Cats can be a different matter though, trying to teach the neighbours cat not to come into your yard in a non-lethal manner can be very frustrating.

You sure as hell can condition your dog and kids to not kill something before it happens. Training a dog to not kill rats and snakes and birds isn't hard. As soon as I got a bird, I trained my dog not to touch them (even though he previously liked to catch and eat them), same with snakes.

Whilst kids can be naughty, you can certainly try and teach them about things before they meet them without you around. If you don't teach you kids "don't go near snakes in the wild", then unfortunately you're doing it wrong.

Of course much of the education that goes in with animals and children are reactive, but to not include any kind of pro-active lessons (and teaching dogs to not do things before they do it is not hard at all) is totally incorrect.

The dog needs to know not to do it again.

The same as kids when they do something wrong get punished (smacked or sent to room yada yada)...

The kids don't know what is right/wrong half the time growing up, how can you expect a dog too. you don't condition your kids before things go wrong, how can you expect to condition your dog as well. Everyone learns through their mistakes and misfortunes, kid/dog does something wrong they get punished and they learn not to do it again.

You can't always be pro-active about things and go oh I have rats, condition the dog now!...

Most of parenting/pet owning etc is re-active...

(I'm not comparing having kids to pets... well in someways I am :p )

" Cats can be a different matter though, trying to teach the neighbours cat not to come into your yard in a non-lethal manner can be very frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I'ts funny you shoud say that Fuscus as I had a dog (kelpie)from down the road that kept jumping my fence at night and eating my dogs food. I told its owner but he did not even know where he was let alone his dog!!....So....I chained up my dog and put out a piece of lino on the lawn...I put a big chunk on mince on it and plugged the electric fence into it ( I was going through an electric fence stage in my life) via a 5mtr length of insuated wire. I was woken at about 2.00am to howling and yelping....the dog never came back and stole food again.....my flat mates cat however was also never seen again so i am not sure if i was to blame for that one....

Electric fences.....they are your friend!!!

You sure as hell can condition your dog and kids to not kill something before it happens. Training a dog to not kill rats and snakes and birds isn't hard. As soon as I got a bird, I trained my dog not to touch them (even though he previously liked to catch and eat them), same with snakes.

Whilst kids can be naughty, you can certainly try and teach them about things before they meet them without you around. If you don't teach you kids "don't go near snakes in the wild", then unfortunately you're doing it wrong.

Of course much of the education that goes in with animals and children are reactive, but to not include any kind of pro-active lessons (and teaching dogs to not do things before they do it is not hard at all) is totally incorrect.

Yes, but you yourself have to remember to pro-actively teach them. If you forget (which most people would do) then the lessons learned growing up etc are mostly re-active.

You can't punish someone for something, they were unaware was a bad thing to do, e.g the dog in this case was 'yes' wrong but the dog never knew that. If it had been pro actively conditioned and he did it then yes punish him. But now its time for him to be taught that its bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back