why don't we feed black crickets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:? why do we use brown crickets when we have huge black crickets here?

if you got heaps of wild black crix you gan gather them and feed to your frogs etc live or freeze them for later.I always take advantage of the cricket season, and the moth season and in redhill in spring you cant walk or you will tread on green caterpillars,not sure what they are,these can be gathered by the bucket and frozen to.
skinks and dragons love them.
I think the brown cricket must breed easier .

Black crickets can be damn noisy as well.

Nothing wrong with feeding wild insects as long as they are pesticide free, if anything they would offer some nutrional variety from captive insects which all eat the same thing.

you can

you can feed them, just break off the back hopping legs as they have a very sharp barb which could be deadly to frogs.
big dragons etc are fine and you should take advantage of free food and freeze as many as possible.

Yeah I was gonna say that people worry about the spines, but I've seen photos of frogs eating bats... so you know, I'm sure they could cope just fine with a spiky foot.

what about those big burrowing crickets you get in the crass and stuff, how would they go?

what about those big burrowing crickets you get in the crass and stuff, how would they go?
Mole crickets are great value for young monitors and pretty much everything else
rufcwix.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/ssssnakeman/Monitors and Skinks/rufcwix.jpg

re why

You will have to go further afield forensick. The annual redhill caterpillar chowdown is certainly worth the drive if you have a few mouths to feed.
Yes you can use black crickets i do,also cockroaches etc,like snakeman says there is windows of opportunity,for catterpillars and locusts often appear in huge numbers some areas,freeze them.

Curious....what is this about feeding frozen food to your frogs?
I have never seen my fellows eat anything not moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back