Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olives in Victoria are just a basic licence.

I paid $450 for a juvie in November and adore him.

Hey Todd, what a thread... I am in Orange County just about 10mins from Disneyland. I hear the reptile activity in Texas is pretty good from shows to herping in the fields.

Great pics and info. everyone!

Charlie,
Yeah- we just moved here from San Diego 2 years ago this coming August- I know exactly where you live... my dad lives in Huntington beach.

The field herping out here is INSANE!

The shows are good, but I wouldn't say they're any 'better' than the big NARBC shows in Anaheim or anything, except they do have the venomous ones here which are interesting.

If you ever make it out this way, give me a shout and we'll go find some cool stuff!

//Todd

Charlie,
Yeah- we just moved here from San Diego 2 years ago this coming August- I know exactly where you live... my dad lives in Huntington beach.

The field herping out here is INSANE!

The shows are good, but I wouldn't say they're any 'better' than the big NARBC shows in Anaheim or anything, except they do have the venomous ones here which are interesting.

If you ever make it out this way, give me a shout and we'll go find some cool stuff!

//Todd
You got it!

I haven't been too lucky with the field herping. It seems I never find anything when I'm purposefully looking but when doing something else like mtn. biking then I see a nice beautiful Red Diamond Rattler in all it's glory. I met a herper recently that gave me some spots near Huntington Beach a bit north actually so I'll have to give them a try soon.

Cheers!

I met a herper recently that gave me some spots near Huntington Beach a bit north actually so I'll have to give them a try soon
Are you going herping in Mile Square Park again, Charlie!?!

But seriously, what is north of Huntington Beach that is good for herping?

Liasher- the olves are SOOOO cool as babies, aren't they??? Such fiesty little things!

//Todd
I got a MF pair unrelated from a pet shop in Melbourne. $450 each. I swear that in the 3 weeks I have owned them the male (who feeds like a snake possessed) has increased in size by a few cms!! He is a very docile yearling, once had a go at me post mouse but he is great. The female is smaller and absolutely refuses to eat (shed just after I bought her but even post shed has not had anything). She is a bit more jumpy, and bit me before her shed.

They are the most beautiful snakes I own, although the two womas I got yesterday are giving them a good run for their money!:lol:

Br8knitOFF or anyone, any tips for getting a stubborn young olive to feed? The shop assured me they were both good feeders. Have offered her mice, brained to perfection, left overnight, warmed by the finest hot water etc. She takes a sniff and turns her nose up (or tries to snap at me instead). I have got one of those fussy olives??:(:(

Tips for fussy olive

You could try killing a rat or mouse and throw it straight in whilst it is dark and leave the room immediately.
or try rolling the rat or mouse in a bird (pet or otherwise) the bird smell will still be on it. Olives like bird smelling food.

Yeah- maybe.

How long have you had them?

It may just be a case of 'leave her alone' for a couple weeks to let her adjust- no handling or bothering her until she settles in. (except to clean, change water, etc.)

Also- my male did act pretty strange when it came time to eat. That is, he didn't like to be watched (he still will bury his head into several coils while eating if being watched) and actually would leave his food to go hide, so I would feed him from tongs, and leave the room for 1/2 hour.

There are others with WAY more experience here with olives that will be able to shed more light on stubborn eaters when it comes to the olives... I just have the lone male.

//Todd

Thanks!

Thanks. Leaving her alone for a further week or two (I have heard her since mid Jan), would be easier than rolling a freshly killed mouse in feathers for me. However, the shop has offered to exchange her for another one. It's a difficult decision as I have a problem with exchanging a living pet I have bonded with! Then again I don't want a fusspot! Decisions...:(:cry:

fresh ki8lled

So have you tried fresh killed food?
sometimes they just need to get going and realise that they are not in any danger and after 1 feed there might be no problem.
I have bred many olives and dealt with all temperament types in babies and all ages.
I wouldn't give it back to the pet shop if it was me.

I love Olives. I have a Male and Female who are 3 years old. I have not had them long and I have had a problem with the Male one. They are both very friendly to hold but twice since I have had them the male has become extreemly agressive. He will be beautlfull to hold and look relaxed in his cage one day then the next day will strike with great force at the glass with any movement he sees. He seems to do this just before he sheds. Then once he sheds he is instantly is a beautiful snake again. Is this common behaviour for Olives?

Thanks 'Norris' . He is a sweetie but the change in him is very quick. I will have to keep an eye on him because he is going to get very big and I do not fancy a bite.

Are you going herping in Mile Square Park again, Charlie!?!

But seriously, what is north of Huntington Beach that is good for herping?
:oops: Did I say North? I ment West. The thought process was going up the coast and north is up on a map. I swear I never get lost, LOL.

Nice to see you alive and posting again Jeremy. Hope things are back on track.

Witch,
The way you describe your male olive sounds exactly how my male olive was when he was a youngster.

I'd be holding him, and everything was very cool, and all of a sudden, he'd snap- striking like crazy, whipping his tail, etc.

The trick is to handle him for only a few minutes a day, every couple of days, being overly gentle and deliberate. If/when you notice him turning psycho on you, gently and slowly put him back where he feels safe, and leave him alone.

That's what worked for me- he's a total pussy cat now, but I still keep an eye on him when the kids are handling him, just in case...

//Todd

Failry sure olives are on the basic licence.

yeh viridae i just checked on the victorian licence application form and i can get a olive on the basic licence, But olives are not commonly sold and i am wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in victoria. I will be looking at getting a olive (liasis oliveaceus) in the middle or towards the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back