Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with Ramsayi on this,a couple of Chondro breeders i no have never started their hatchies on frogs or skinks.With any species most hatchies in the wild dont start with mice-rats,BUT in captivity they are started on mice-rats.If they were started on frogs-skinks i could imagine they will have some difficulties in getting them to switch over to rodents...Also frogs have alot of parasites,ive seen a few green tree snakes full of lumps all over the body,in which i was told was caused from eating frogs....Could you PM me those who start their Chondros on frogs-skinks please...Mark

I'm not sure if this is really relevent to the topic but in qld its actually in the Code of Practise "captive reptile and amphibian husbandry guide issued under the Nature Conservation Act 1992

I'm not great with latin species names but ...

Provision is made in the Wildlife Management Regulation for the collection of seven species of least concern skinks as food for exclusively lizard-eating (
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]saurophagous[/FONT][/FONT]) species of herpetofauna, principally small snakes. It should be noted that the Wildlife Management Regulation does not permit the use of frogs as feed animals.

• The seven species of skink are:

a) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Carlia pectoralis[/FONT][/FONT];

b) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Carlia vivax[/FONT][/FONT];

c) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Cryptoblepharus carnabyi[/FONT][/FONT];

d) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Cryptoblepharus virgatus[/FONT][/FONT];

e) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Ctenotus robustus[/FONT][/FONT];

f) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Lampropholis delicata[/FONT][/FONT]; and

g) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Morethia boulengeri[/FONT][/FONT].

This is what I love about this forum, when ever I have a question regarding laws or husbandry there are a multitude of people willing to offer assistance.
I wasn't aware any provisions were made for this.
I'm curious what people with legless lizards are feeding their adults. Being lizard eaters themselves do they adapt to pinkies or can they eat insects etc.?

I'm not sure if this is really relevent to the topic but in qld its actually in the Code of Practise "captive reptile and amphibian husbandry guide issued under the Nature Conservation Act 1992

I'm not great with latin species names but ...

Provision is made in the Wildlife Management Regulation for the collection of seven species of least concern skinks as food for exclusively lizard-eating (
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]saurophagous[/FONT][/FONT]) species of herpetofauna, principally small snakes. It should be noted that the Wildlife Management Regulation does not permit the use of frogs as feed animals.

• The seven species of skink are:

a) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Carlia pectoralis[/FONT][/FONT];

b) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Carlia vivax[/FONT][/FONT];

c) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Cryptoblepharus carnabyi[/FONT][/FONT];

d) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Cryptoblepharus virgatus[/FONT][/FONT];

e) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Ctenotus robustus[/FONT][/FONT];

f) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Lampropholis delicata[/FONT][/FONT]; and

g) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Morethia boulengeri[/FONT][/FONT].

This is what I love about this forum, when ever I have a question regarding laws or husbandry there are a multitude of people willing to offer assistance.
I wasn't aware any provisions were made for this.
I'm curious what people with legless lizards are feeding their adults. Being lizard eaters themselves do they adapt to pinkies or can they eat insects etc.?

i've had mine eating insects as well as pinkies

Why is legal to kill mammals such as mice and rats for the production of reptile food, but we can't do the same to skinks and frogs. Don't get me wrong, I love frogs and skinks, however there are issues with feeding mice and rats to young GTP's and I know that the top breeders feed them skinks and frogs to emulate what is done in the wild to prevent prolaps issues. Wouldn't you think if the laws are put there for the better care and understanding of our herps then they should rethink the issue of breeding frogs and skinks as food for certain herps.
Just my opinion but I would like to hear more from the people out there in APS world.

This is a common misconception. You can!

So long as they, captive and legally held and are killed humanely.

I've had a great many slinging matches with other APS users on this topic.

It is widely believed that the prolapse issues experienced in Australia were caused predominantly by the "weak" line of snakes that were been bred. With the amount of genetic diversity amongst Green Pythons now, the rate of prolapse has dropped dramatically, to the point where it is very rare.

This has been a very informative thread. Is that Australia wide?

If that was aimed at me, I'm not sure if it Aus wide but it is definately the case in the NT. It is definately not encouraged but i have checked with NTPWS and they said they don't like it but technically not breaking the law.

You may find that only the introduced pesty rats and mice can be killed for reptile food. Native rats and mice would be protected like any other native animal. Anything that is non-native is (as far as I am aware) considered feral, pest, whatever you want to call them, and will never be protected in this country.

You may find that only the introduced pesty rats and mice can be killed for reptile food. Native rats and mice would be protected like any other native animal. Anything that is non-native is (as far as I am aware) considered feral, pest, whatever you want to call them, and will never be protected in this country.

Trout are not a considered a feral pest, they even have size limits.

Quick Question
For arguments sake, lets say they do look to legalise the captive breeding of small skink or frog species for food.
How would u go about policing this, im assuming there would be a lot of turnover of animals on the books what is stopping people breeding these skinks or frog species and then selling them off the books to unlicensed keepers, when NPWS comes a knocking all they need to say is that they were fed out,, it would almost be impossible to police

Quick Question
For arguments sake, lets say they do look to legalise the captive breeding of small skink or frog species for food.
How would u go about policing this, im assuming there would be a lot of turnover of animals on the books what is stopping people breeding these skinks or frog species and then selling them off the books to unlicensed keepers, when NPWS comes a knocking all they need to say is that they were fed out,, it would almost be impossible to police

As opposed to just saying they died or just saying that you never bred them? Only honest people are affected by laws, you would not beleive how easy it is create a paper trail and sell animals illegally.

As opposed to just saying they died or just saying that you never bred them? Only honest people are affected by laws, you would not beleive how easy it is create a paper trail and sell animals illegally.
Yes Gordo I wanna thankyou for my "anaconda"........I mean my 'anna the chondro';)

Breeding small Australian skinks for snake food? Many skinks are much more difficult to keep than snakes, requiring daily watering and feeding with specific thermal and hydric tolerances to be met for successful husbandry.

Either use Hemidactylus geckoes or autonomised tails from skinks if you're really desperate. All Australian reptiles, frogs and other animals are protected by law, it's a tricky situation feeding protected species to protected species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back