Why is my gecko is digging ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch_89

Reaction score
I have a spotted velvet gecko and the last two nights it has been digging under its rock water dish... We think it is a male but dont really know... if that helps at all

Hmmmm, being arboreal Oedura don't usually dig unless they are gravid or too hot and trying to escape the heat. What temp is it at?

ummm temp in the tank is on thermostat set at 26 via a heat lamp at the top of the cage...

26 degrees is fine. I'd have a thermometer in the enclosure though, sometimes thermostats aren't calibrated properly and although the temperature you have set it to says 26, the actual temp could be very different. Can you get pickies of 'his' underside?

:)

im new to keeping reptiles but i thought that too so i got a thermometer and wen the thermostat clicks off at 26 the temperature is 25.3 usually so it seems right... ill get some photos now...

Good thinking :) If you can put him in a see-through tub and take pickies from underneath that should be enough, they have to be clear though!

nah he is pretty tame im uploading it now... h will stay still haha

I think i did it right there should be a picture

Attachments

• P7070177.jpg
    P7070177.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 85
okay thanks for all the help maybe is there a better way to keep him heated than a lamp just incase he is getting hot

with Oedura, I put heatcord on the walls rather than use heat lamps.

iv got a oedura marmorata sub adult female that has not been with males
that was kept at approriate temps but still used to dig all the time untill i upsized her tank (i thinks she was tunneling to china)'
wat size is ur tank?

Last edited:
have you got enought places for him to hide try adding another hidein place for him

They are basically crevice dwellers so will want to squeeze themselves into gaps to feel secure and the water bowl against the floor might be the best option. I keep all my Oedura in tile rack set ups so they have ample 'crevice' space.

that size is fine
do u handle him much?
does he have only one hide?
is the tank in a place like ur lounge room that is lit and has frequent human traffic?
if u answer yes to one or more of these question then the digging could b due to stress as he is trying to get out of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back