Wild caught hares

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemal

Reaction score
Just wanting to know peoples ideas on feeding wild caught hares to snakes in Queensland .Seeings how we cant legally breed rabbits and for some reason there is a supply shortage of certain sized frozen rabbits is it possible to breed hares here for snakes .Local pet shops are taking whatever rabbits they can lay their hands on then charging top dollar for them .I know they need to cover costs but a $10 rabbit being sold for $20+ is a bit rich i think .What diseases could be associated with wild caught animals and the dangers to snakes .

yeah i would aswell if i had to feed an olive and a scrub python. you must pay tonnes for food.

There are no diseases your snake could contract from eating wild hares or rabbits. If you freeze them first, then thaw, they will be fine.

J

Yeah mate, its a breed and don't tell basically. I see people selling babies at markets sometimes so obviously they aren't too strict on them. It defies logic to have to buy them every time, will be much more efficient breeding your own. But we know that nobody on here does that and neither will you ;)

I'm all set when my Coastal gets to rabbit size. My Uncle hunts, I can get him to pop a few for freezing. :D

Jamie, just to specify..
Freezing will kill everything like tapeworm cysts as well as the other life stages? Not being smart, I honestly can't remember how resistant they are. I've regularly contemplated catching a few rabbits by hand when out shooting (and we regularly catch them by hand when they are close) so there is no worries with lead poisoning and feeding them to some of our bigger animals.

Arent they pointless to breed cause they breed no where near as much as rabbits and have small litters...
Ive seen them out bush on rare occasions but im sure if u wanted to breed them up there you could, dont think there classed as a pest cause they dont dig burrows or breed in plague proportions and the average female i think only has 3 babies a season....

I wasn't referring to your post :) I'm a bowhunter as well, though when you get upwards of 10 rabbits in the spotlight at a time and a few hundred in a night you run out of arrow's pretty quickly....so I don't bother with bow's for rabbits around here...

There's no lead poisoning when shot with arrows. :)

Rabbit=Oryctolagus cuniculus Hare=Lepus europæus Not the same thing yes. The same thing as far as the QLD government is concerned?

I have a mate that regularly (& has done for years) feeds wild caught rabbits to his MD, with no issues. I don't see hares being any different, just bigger.

Rabbits are hard enough to breed in quantity but hares are even harder, If you are sucessful there is a waiting human market for unusual game. A mate tried to breed Hares ten years ago for the game market but could not get them to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back