Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of people catching gravid snakes and then selling off the hatchlings ?
What are the laws regarding this ?
I have seen Many cheap coastals around here well under $100
Is this normal as i have been told that these are possible wild caught hatchies if i was to buy one what could happen to me ?

i was thinking about using wild caught blue tongues last year to breed with my one, but the wild ones were alittle vicious...

Doberman - it's illegal and very rare. The people warning you about them been wild caught are probably the same idiots who charge more than $150 for a coastal hatchling...

Some people just like breeding snakes...

Catching gravid snakes would be rare but people selling wild caught snakes are not, theres still lots of wild caught reptiles being sold, but the seller will rarely tell you.

I know that and i prefer not to buy anything thats wild caught, theres no need for it with most species.

If you suspect they are wild caught, ask to see the parents of the offspring. Just say you want to see the colouration of the adults.If they can't show you the parents or something just seems a bit off, look elsewhere.
The cheap coastals could merely be people that have not sold off all their hatchies and have dropped the price to sell them.This happens every year.

Thanks everyone
I think i will ask to see the parents greebo
Also what type of diseases do wild caught carry that can be transfered to my other snake?
I asked this Question because something does feel a bit off greebo not sure what yet as i have only spoken on phone supposed to see them this weekend !
Sxe you sell yours for around 100 dont you ?

Depends on how many I get this season. Maximum asking price will be $150 if I don't get many, but if I get what I want they'll be between $100 and $130.

Also what type of diseases do wild caught carry that can be transfered to my other snake?
Heaps of stuff, mites and worms for example.
Always quarantine new animals away from the animals you already have.

Maybe Sxe can sell you some of last seasons coastals if he still has some left.

it happens all the time, but you will find that the arseholes that do it will not seel the snake less than what everyone else does as they are greedy, lazy and I would not consider them breeders or herpetologists. Unfortunately it is to easy for them to get away with it.....and also its very illegal to do it.....and if you do it you will get busted sooner or later and I hope you get whats coming to you...

and also its very illegal to do it.....and if you do it you will get busted sooner or later and I hope you get whats coming to you...
I hope you dont think i am planning on doing it i am just wanting to buy another snake and saw these advertised cheap and was told to be careful so i thought i would ask the forum
cheers Mick

no no of couse I wasnt, cheep doesnt mean wild caught they may just want to move them on as they may have quiet alot of them, there is a guy up in brissie that has 300 juv carpets forsale at $150 each....not many people want to keep onto so many to get the best price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back