wild green mamba

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest assured, if there where snakes in shed roofs at Duffy's Forest, they most definately would not be King Browns, but instead Brown Tree Snakes. They are everywhewre in that area as are Diamond Pythons.

If a Green Mamba was captured on a call out anywhere in Australia, it would have been on every TV station in the country, and in every major newspaper. Yet, nothing has been seen, nor has any mention of this been heard of in the herp community untill this thread.

I've heard lots of stories about "King Brown" snakes around Wagga. Most of the public think that any brown snake over 6ft long is a King Brown. I will be glad when more people call them Mulgas.

and i wouldnt belive someone could be brave enough to A) Import an extremly agressive and venomous snake into aus and B) own such a violent animal you would have to be flopping bunnies

Rest assured, if there where snakes in shed roofs at Duffy's Forest, they most definately would not be King Browns, but instead Brown Tree Snakes. They are everywhewre in that area as are Diamond Pythons.

If a Green Mamba was captured on a call out anywhere in Australia, it would have been on every TV station in the country, and in every major newspaper. Yet, nothing has been seen, nor has any mention of this been heard of in the herp community untill this thread.

So it wouldnt be re-released down the road then. :rolleyes:

Kwaka

You could not be so wrong. I personally have seen Black Mambas in Sydney collections, and there are heaps of Cobras, Rattlesnakes, Puff Adders and a large variety of Vipers here as well. I have no problems beleiving that Green Mambas are here as well. I am merely saying that it would by newsworthy if one was caught on a callout.

God help these people if they get bitten by one of these hot exotics.

Just a question Bob,

But seeing there are so many venomous exotics... would places like hospital and wildlife parks be carrying anti-venom for all/most exotic snake species?

Kane

I think it may have been in the current Reptiles Australia - maybe elsewhere though...

I read that every year the hospitals receive a number of people attending with bites from exotic venomous species and it is also believed that a lot of people just ride it out with bites from venomous yet not necessarily deadly as they are scared of coming forward - it mentioned Cobras, Rattlesnakes and a heap of Vipers...

Yeah Aslan there is an article in the current reptiles aus mag, page 37 which lists all the venemous snakes which are known to be kept in australia as well as those that have been seized in raids.It's quite an eye opener actually, & even goes into the story of one guy that bought a hatchie carpet for $100 in NSW only to find out a couple of years later that it was a Russells Viper, Daboia russelli.Scarey stuff:shock: Also mentions one massive raid in Melbourne in 2001 where they discovered spitting cobras,monocled cobras,Tropical rattlesnakes,Latastes vipers,Gaboon Vipers & Puff Adders.

Mr Spike, hospitals only carry antivenom for local occurring species. Taronga and the ARP would carry some for their exotic species. But thats about it. As I said, God help those people who get tagged by their exotic hots.

mr spike, as bigguy has said, only wildlife parks that keep hot exotics carry anti-venom.

mixmaster,- trust me the general public no nothing about snakes and make up all sorts of absurd stories about them, in 15 years of snake catching for qld parks and wildlife i have heard them all and some. IMO except for the diamonds and brown the rest are a figment of their imagination.

and i wouldnt belive someone could be brave enough to A) Import an extremly agressive and venomous snake into aus and B) own such a violent animal you would have to be flopping bunnies

Kwaka, if you're referring to the Green Mamba, it's probably one of the most placid/even tempered vens I've kept. The Black on the other hand could quite easily be compared to satan! haha.

mr spike, as bigguy has said, only wildlife parks that keep hot exotics carry anti-venom.

mixmaster,- trust me the general public no nothing about snakes and make up all sorts of absurd stories about them, in 15 years of snake catching for qld parks and wildlife i have heard them all and some. IMO except for the diamonds and brown the rest are a figment of their imagination.

thanks trueblue, thats all i wanted to know. i didnt doubt it as i know of many people with all sorts of exotics as im sur ealot of you guys do. also in the most recent reptile aus mag i read that green mambas are part of the illegally imported species list.
as i said many times i was never saying this is true, i was asking if anyone else had heard about it to see if it was true.
same to bigguy, all i wanted was a sensible response - thankyou.

Someone's been telling u whoppers lol. The green mamba prolific in Aus ? As everyone knows ? That's a good one :lol: i think someone needs to read more snake books. There's another snake, 5 letters long, begins with M, ends with A, it's called a MULGA. not Mamba. (they're indigenous btw)

Edit: by "they're" i mean the mulga.

I'm not sure a claim was ever made that Mambas were 'prolific' as such...merely one animal captured at a call out. Regardless I think this is incorrect as I'm sure it would have made quite a few headlines...many herpers may be aware that exotics are around but it would make a brilliant story for the media...

As everyone knows, stories get exaggerated and everyone knows someone who's brother's friend's mate was there at the time...however, the recent Reptile Australia magazine definately opened my eyes u significantly to the types of exotics over here...

Someone's been telling u whoppers lol. The green mamba prolific in Aus ? As everyone knows ? That's a good one :lol: i think someone needs to read more snake books. There's another snake, 5 letters long, begins with M, ends with A, it's called a MULGA. not Mamba. (they're indigenous btw)

Edit: by "they're" i mean the mulga.

No need for the condescending BS, and reading more snake books would make no obvious difference to the outcome of this conversation. Have another read, no one said they were prolific, thats just a smart**** comment thats not necessary.
Dont bother replying unless you have something to add to the conversation.

As for the King Browns, atleast 50% of people over here are dead set convinced they see them on a regular basis. Anything brown and over 4 foot is fair game ;) We dont get King Browns down my way but theres planty of Dugites about that get labeled as kingies.

Cheers
Jordan

Whoooaaa! Hostility!

Peace brothers ;)

Firstly, in looking back, my statement about snake books has actually been said before, and secondly:

as everyone knows, green mambas are a very common occurrence throughout all australia..:eek:

I'm sorry, i interpreted "very common occurrence throughout ALL australia" as prolific. Maybe i just wanted to use 1 word instead of 6.

THIRDLY, this forum is all about condescending BS so don't give me the condescending BS regarding my condescending BS. :lol:

I'm not trying to attack anyone really, just imagine me saying all this laughing!!

Have to watch the way you word things, your post had a condescending feel to it, which gets you no where, and really just makes you look like an ass.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back