Wild vens breeding question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hallie

Reaction score
hey guys...

Sounds like a dumb question but can different species of vens breed together in the wild like pythons can/do ..?

i was asked this question over the weekend and wasnt sure on the answer.

i was sure the answer was no but couldnt tell them exactly why..?

Can you please tell me if its possible and if not, why...?

Cheers.
Hallie..

only species and sup species can interbreed, fir example, the pythons of Morelia spilota sub species can interbreed but a BHP and a carpet would not produce young.

only species and sup species can interbreed, fir example, the pythons of Morelia spilota sub species can interbreed but a BHP and a carpet would not produce young.

So your saying you couldnt cross a woma and carpet python? interesting theory... Im sure plenty of differant vens could potentially hybridize but it wouldnt be very common between animals that arnt the same species. Various venomous snakes have intergrade or hybrid zones between diffeant types.

In captivity, Adders have interbred several times. Colletts have been put over Spotted Blacks, and the three Hoplocephalus species have been interbred.

The only possible wild hybrid I know of is a Acanthophis wellsi/pyrrhus.

Sorry Kensai - I was replying to the original poster, not to your post. With regards to what you said about only species or subspecies interbreeding - Liasis has been put over Morelia, and Python has been put over Aspidites.

Aren't there 'Walls' being produced? (overseas but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens here) - Woma cross ball python.

-Will

so Jonno do you know how the hops turned out .? and what was put over what ?

They are fairly well known, to the point where they have their own species code in NSW. They look like...well, a mix between the two. From memory there was a Stephens x Pale Headed and either a Stephens or Pale Headed x Broadheaded.

wow ...these are one of my choices of finicky vens to get down the track after a few years of keeping ..do you know how they handle in capt? as in all 3 cause I like the lot ...

also heard of tigers being put over copper heads...

is that true...? Or you having a lend..?

thier actually the species i got asked the question about..

I live in Melb with a creek behind us and both of those species are in the area...

wow ...these are one of my choices of finicky vens to get down the track after a few years of keeping ..do you know how they handle in capt? as in all 3 cause I like the lot ...

They are generally very easy captives once the juveniles are feeding consistantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back