Wildlife Carer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dailyskin

Reaction score
I am interested in becoming a wildlife carer. I have a job where it would be fine to bring an animal requiring feeding to work.

Does anyone know how I would go about this in Victoria?

I'm sure if you do a google search you should be able to find plenty of wildlife organisations that could use some extra help at the moment. Not sure about the taking them to work bit though, most australian native animals stress very easily & I don't think they would enjoy being carted round daily.

I used to work with a woman who cared for possoms and echidnas. My work place is a home office, only 4 other women. My desk is in a quiet and calm room, I think it would be fine. I live only 5 minutes from work...

Hope this helps!! It is a little bit of a lengthy process and you will need to be mentored but it is rewarding. Even though you probably won't be able to care for animals at the moment you will be able to support those that are and care for your own before long. If you require further information please PM me.

Cheers

Deja

INFORMATION SHEET
Becoming a Carer

MISSION STATEMENT

Wildlife Victoria is dedicated to the care and protection of Australia’s native wildlife through
the pursuit of the highest standards in wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and care, with
continued commitment to carer support, education and training, wildlife advocacy, research,
promotion of partnerships and the preservation of natural ecosystems.

BACKGROUND TO WILDLIFE VICTORIA

Wildlife Victoria has been at the forefront of wildlife rescue in Victoria since its beginnings in
1989. It was at this time that a group of people saw the need to have a 24-hour emergency
phone line for Victoria and so commenced our most integral service. Since then Wildlife
Victoria has become involved in education and training, networking and supporting shelters
and promoting the needs of wildlife in Victoria.

Wildlife Victoria is a non-profit, incorporated organisation that is managed by a committee
of 11 people elected each year from the members. All members are eligible for election to
the committee.

Wildlife Victoria’s emergency telephone service operates 24-hours for people needing help
with injured, sick or orphaned wildlife. The Emergency Phone takes over 20 000 calls per
annum facilitating the best result for wildlife that has been injured or displaced through
human activity, road trauma, feral animals, tree felling, land clearing, pollution, bushfires
and oil spills. Emergency Phone is the link between members of the public with injured
wildlife and licensed carers.

BECOMING A CARER

The practical caring for wildlife is very different from caring for domesticated animals and
may be much more difficult and demanding than initially expected. A good deal of expertise
and knowledge is required to provide high quality care to injured, distressed and/or
orphaned wildlife. It can also turn out to be very demanding financially and so is something
that should be well considered before taking that step. Specific equipment, food and
appropriate housing will be needed in order for you to care for wildlife.

In Victoria, government regulations limit who can take care of Australian native animals.
Specific rehabilitation licences are given to people wanting to care for wildlife. While the
minimum requirement for becoming a licensed carer is 12months as a foster carer under a
fully licensed mentor Wildlife Shelter, Wildlife Victoria encourages you to seek out training
opportunities also order to give your animals the best possible care. Wildlife Victoria offers a
wide range of training days throughout the year and you can find an up to date list of
training days on the website. Wildlife Victoria highly recommends that people involved in
rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife endeavour go to as many training days as they can. It is
important that as an industry we keep our knowledge up to date.

INFORMATION SHEET

Becoming a Carer

For members of Wildlife Victoria training days will be offered at half price. Wildlife Victoria
has a commitment to training and in most cases Wildlife Victoria will cover any costs to help
out wildlife carers and rescuers financially.

Volunteers intending to become a foster carer should also sign up for the Wildlife Husbandry
and Rehabilitation Course developed and run in partnership with Wildlife Victoria and
Victorian University. This course is an 80-hour course aims to provide a basic understanding
in the husbandry and rehabilitation of commonly encountered wildlife. The topics are broad
and include welfare and law, first aid and care of sick and injured animals, basic biology and
behaviour, husbandry, capture and release. The coursework includes night lectures and oneday
weekend workshops at various locations or you can do this course online. This is an
accredited course and a course certificate is issued to all participants. Victoria University of
Technology Wildlife course coordinator: Greg Gordon (03) 9216 8113 or e-mail
[email protected].

You can get started by ringing Department of Sustainability and Environment on 136 186 and
asking them to send out an application for foster caring. You will then need to get in contact
with a local wildlife shelter for an interview to seek out an appropriate mentor. Contact
Wildlife Victoria for phone numbers of your local shelter operators. Shelter operators are
only permitted to have 3 foster carers and most will want to make sure that you have the
appropriate equipment and facilities before you start. You can ask them about these
requirements at the interview.

Caring for wildlife is a very rewarding experience, but it can also be heartbreaking,
exhausting and expensive. You should consider carefully before taking up this role and if you
decide that you really want to help out our sick, injured and orphaned wildlife in this way
you will gain so much back from the experience.

Source: http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/...itions/becoming a carer information sheet.pdf

Becoming a Carer

The practical caring for wildlife is very different from caring for domesticated animals and may be much more difficult and demanding than initially expected. A good deal of expertise and knowledge is required to provide high quality care to injured, distressed and/or orphaned wildlife. It can also turn out to be very demanding financially and so is something that should be well considered before taking that step.

For further information contact [email protected]

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=63

Thanks so much for that - that's exactly what I was looking for. I am interested in doing this long-term, so a year with a mentor etc. is fine.

Do you know - are you able to nominate the sort of animals you can care for? Eg I don't have large room for some animals, but small animals would be fine.?

Of course! You will nominate what you are able to care for. Taken in to count as well is the experience you already have, ie certain reptiles.

If you choose (eg, possums) you will be matched with a local carer that is available to mentor you once you have completed your studies. You are never on your own as you may find you will require help at 2am etc your mentor will assist you. There is always ongoing support from Wildlife Victoria as well assistance is available 24 hours a day.

Equipment that is required (aviaries, heat mats, feeding tubes, formula and medication etc), you will be aided by Wildlife Victoria and your mentor in acquiring the needed bits and pieces prior to taking in a rehab animal.

Deja

wildlife victoria is a good start, there is also a group on the mornington penninsula called AWARE. contact your local vet as well, we have wildlife carers that look after the wildlife that is brought to our clinic injured, we treat them and then a carer looks after them until they are able to be released. your vet should be able to put you in touch with a carer that is a mentor in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back