will this cooling method work

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i came here to get help,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some cheap thermostats that you actually can set to do that. They are digital and you can run them at whatever gap you like. They come factory set at 10deg. So go a little easy on him. If they are the ones I have you can change the setting down to 1deg. I personally run mine at 3 deg cause if find that that difference creates a stable basking spot without the on off on off being to quick.

I think mine are the get-100s you see on eBay pretty regularly. Are yours a digital thermostat?

I have some cheap thermostats that you actually can set to do that. They are digital and you can run them at whatever gap you like. They come factory set at 10deg. So go a little easy on him. If they are the ones I have you can change the setting down to 1deg. I personally run mine at 3 deg cause if find that that difference creates a stable basking spot without the on off on off being to quick.

I think mine are the get-100s you see on eBay pretty regularly. Are yours a digital thermostat?
Geez that would solve a lot of this if he just hasn't set up his thermostats properly. I've never seen them with factory set gaps. I wonder what the point of it is. Unless like you say it's to reduce rapid on off switching.

I just checked. They are ecotec brand tc100. About $60 from memory. They work great. I reckon that's the issue. OP pm me if you need me to help with the settings.

ubehe4ad.jpg

Last edited:
I might have to adjust one of mine a bit. Drives me crazy with the constant ticking. Plus I think that might be a cause of it kind of stuffing up.
It only goes up to 33c now, rather than 50. Which isn't a big issue, but one none the less.

Geez that would solve a lot of this if he just hasn't set up his thermostats properly. I've never seen them with factory set gaps. I wonder what the point of it is. Unless like you say it's to reduce rapid on off switching.

Yes, it certainly would have. I hate night shift lol. I think it's safer set to a big gap. That way it's not so hard on the che's but that's only a guess. I did an experiment with 100w che's. one plugged into the cheap thermostat and one into a very expensive dimming thermostat. The one on the cheap,one lasted longer. But probably coincidence

I might have to adjust one of mine a bit. Drives me crazy with the constant ticking. Plus I think that might be a cause of it kind of stuffing up.
It only goes up to 33c now, rather than 50. Which isn't a big issue, but one none the less.

Yeah the 3 deg works great, especially with Che's

Yes, it certainly would have. I hate night shift lol. I think it's safer set to a big gap. That way it's not so hard on the che's but that's only a guess. I did an experiment with 100w che's. one plugged into the cheap thermostat and one into a very expensive dimming thermostat. The one on the cheap,one lasted longer. But probably coincidence
Possible coincidence. I've got a couple of Che that are on their 2nd year with dimming. Same with on off. Yet I had some blow in 6 months with other vivs. Luck of the draw I reckon. For the most part the last for ages.

Hey Cougar2007 the eco tech tc100 that you have pictured is the same as the JET-001 Day Night Thermostat Timer, just name change, it has an adjustment for the over or under temp alarm as well as an adjustment for the temp gap on/off i would say it is the same as the 1s the OP has, if he changes the range to +/- 2 deg c he should be fine, i have the same 1(JET-001 Day Night Thermostat Timer).........................Ron

I just checked. They are ecotec brand tc100. About $60 from memory. They work great. I reckon that's the issue. OP pm me if you need me to help with the settings.

ubehe4ad.jpg

OP stated in Post #7 that he's using IMITs.

Sorry Rob. Didn't see that.

Yep Ron, I like them. I reckon they seam to be a pretty good thermostat without the pricetag

OP stated in Post #7 that he's using IMITs.
There's a few reasons that imit thermostats could function as the op stated. They usually work on a bi metalic strip. Two different metals that expand at a different rate causing the strip to bend and break contact. If the thermostat gets too hot, it will take longer for the switch to cool down enough to switch on again. These types of thermostats should be mounted some distance from the heat source.
The other possibility is that the heater gets to temp and the thermostat switches off. However the heater continues to pump out heat after being switched off and over shoots the set temp.
Ive used imit thermostats to good effect before. But they have to be installed correctly. An acceptable variance would be +/- 2 degrees.
For most beginners and the technically handicapped I would always suggest using a dimming thermostat. They are easy to set up and regulate the heat a lot more precicisely. They work with globes, Che, heat cords etc. though some have a minimum load limit.

You know after all these years I still can't find anyone to tell me what imit stands for!?

You know after all these years I still can't find anyone to tell me what imit stands for!?[/QUOTE]

Il Manometro Italiano Torino. An Italian company founded in 1917 to manufacture manometers.

Think the guy who started it either invented it or pioneered their use/manufacture. After a while some brand names become synonymous with the item ie like Hoover is used for vacuum cleaner in the UK.

ubehe4ad.jpg

yeah i was looking at getting thermostats like this, ill be buying them very soon... has anyone tried the cheaper version.. exactly the same but without the brand name ?

nah there is another, exactly same as this but cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back