Woma hates new enclosure :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Rabbit

Reaction score
I recently finished creating a new enclosure for my woma. I put her in a couple of weeks ago and she has been under the newspaper since. She did have blue eyes a few days after I put her in so I assumed that is why she was down there, but she hasn't moved since she has shed. I would have waited til after she shed if I knew she was going to...

Temps are perfect with good gradient. Lots of hides etc... The enclosure is multi level and the only thing I can think of is that it's too rough for her..... I rendered the floor of the levels and it seems like she hates it as she will go strait back to the newspaper if I move her up. I figured it wouldnt be a problem but now I am thinking otherwise... Maybe she just needs more time... I dunno.... I thought I would post anyway to get some insight as to what the problem is... I will attach a pic I just took when I put her back in...

uploadfromtaptalk1327237198705.jpg

Hopefully the pic will work... Posting from my phone...

Also though I would mention that when she did shed it was broken twice which has never happened before... Could be related? Didn't think the render was THAT rough.... :(

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Womas are Terrestrial & particularly love to burrow so it is quite normal for your woma to be under the newspaper.
All mine are kept in enclosures with newspaper substrate & even though they have hides & slate hot spots they spend most of the time underneath the paper.
You will find that yours will probably explore at night but prefers to stay hidden during the day which is also quite normal.
Try putting the food items at the highest level to entice her up there at feeding times, she will soon associate feeding at that level & should spend more time exploring in that area, give her time & she will settle in.:)

Ive never understood why people put skeletons or skulls in enclosures. Is it supposed to be a Halloween enclosure or does it just make a beautiful python seem scary to their mates?? Maybe something put into kids minds from movies like indiana jones?? Either way it's a strange choice of enclosure decor for pythons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do it for desert species because it reflects the harshness of the desert, I don't have any mates, lol, so it certainly isn't to impress them. I have animal and human skulls in a couple of enclosures and the snakes love climbing through the eye sockets and out the mouth etc. I've never understood why people use newspaper, snakes can't read.

Here you go, some of mine enjoying there skulls, just to impress people, haha

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 74
  • daggerskull2.jpg
    daggerskull2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 70
  • dagger skull1.jpg
    dagger skull1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Oooooohhhh scary!!!!! Just like the spinefex, sand and rock areas I've seen those animals live in??? Your skulls don't reflect the desert at all... I'll go outside later and take a pic of the pilbara if you want.

My woma is an Uluru form, pretty sure there is lots of desert around Uluru. The spotted has one because my woma grew out of it and he seems to like it a lot, he uses it more than his hide. I never once actually said these skulls are found where the animals live, I said they reflect the harshness of the desert. I used to live on a headland in the bush in a tropical area and it was not uncommon to come across skulls, even human ones if some poor soul had ventured to close to the wrong kind of plantation. My point was, most people don't give much regard to making their enclosures look natural, I try to with most but sometimes I like to have a little fun.

This might sound silly and I haven't fully read the other comments, but maybe you could put something from her old enclosure in the new one, so she can....smell...something familiar from where she used to feel comfortable, that might help her settle.

lol what ever floats your boat I guess.... But I maintain my original statement about people who put skulls in their viv's. And will add that it gives the display a very childish look from my point of view.

Didn't think decor of enclosures was going to be a critisism as such.... The skeleton is in there to keep the newspaper down.

I know they like to sped time under the newspaper... She sometimes did in her other enclosure but never this much. She doesn't explore at night either, I generally don't go to bed until 4am and haven't seen her roam around yet. I have 2 of her original hides in there but she is still not interested...

The main concern and the point of the post was in regards to how rough the render may be. Should I be worried that the majority of her enclosure has the rough render, should I perhaps put some substrate on it...

I did replace one of her hides made from the render in her last enclosure and she would not use it, despite it being the only one in the warm end.

I wonder if I will be critisised when I put this into my spotted's enclosure....? Lol

uploadfromtaptalk1327302835970.jpg

And yeah... It's real...

Last edited:
I love skulls but not with the snakes. They take too much effort to find and old mate bhp would just dismantle them! Here's some on a shelf at my place.

Dingo, Freshie, Echidna, Green turtle.
The pink you can see is the nickers that saved Darlyn's life :) (waiting to be framed). The pic is a great friend of ours who passed away. These are some of our treasures!

Pic 2 is a mystery cetacean (giant shark tooth from the cliffs of my chilhood in foreground)

DSC_0052.jpgDSC_0053.jpg

And BR you'll have no dramas with the porker skull. I have watched a .308 round bounce of one of those! The next one worked though :)

Last edited:
Oooooohhhh scary!!!!! Just like the spinefex, sand and rock areas I've seen those animals live in??? Your skulls don't reflect the desert at all... I'll go outside later and take a pic of the pilbara if you want.

If people like Elaine want to have Skulls in enclosures it is their choice because they & others like it, it obviously has no ill effect on the woma, anyone can get a Pilbara picture!;)

I have a rendered area in one of my enclosures and my jungle has never had a prob, he is about 5yr.
Perhaps try placing newspaper/astro turf over it for an experiment, I guess if she uses it with paper/turf its too rough. But given what they go over in the wild it's unlikely - unless it's sharp rather than rough?
As for the skulls - wow, each to their own, who cares how someone decorates their enclosure. It's for their benefit, not the snake anyway...eg snake doesn't give one either way.....;-)

I have a rendered area in one of my enclosures and my jungle has never had a prob, he is about 5yr.
Perhaps try placing newspaper/astro turf over it for an experiment, I guess if she uses it with paper/turf its too rough. But given what they go over in the wild it's unlikely - unless it's sharp rather than rough?

Yeah I might try that... See if it makes a difference...
I thought it wouldnt be a prob because of what they experience in the wild but perhaps its too much. I'll test it out when I find something suitable to cover it with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back