Woma Python behavior...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sacs4010

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site. I have been wanting a Woma Python for a long time now and I was lucky enough to get one at a reptile show near where I live in Phoenix, Arizona (United States). He was being super tame for me the first week I had him, he went into a shed, had no issues at all. Then the last couple of times I have taken him out of his encloser he has tried to feed on me. lol The first time I put him back in his encloser before he even tried to take a bite out of me. I kind of know the behaviors before a Woma Python bites by watching Youtube videos and reading up on them online. They tend to contrict a bit more then usual and then they proceed to nossel your flesh till they find a good part. lol Anways, I took him out again a few days later and he almost got me. When I managed to pull him off of my arm he had his mouth open. I know how strong their feeding response is. I am wondering if perhaps I need to feed him more often to keep him as calm and tame as he was before. The person I bought him from said that he was super tame and that he eats often. I am only concerned with making sure I do not over feed him because I know Woma Pythons are used to reptiles as a food source and not a fatty mouse carcasse. lol Any ideas or similar experiences that may help me out?

what do you feed him and how often do you feed him? also how often did the old owner feed him

I have womas and are supa tame , hence the reason people buy them , is he/she feeding regulary, hows the temp do you have any kids or someone startling him etc

If find this happens with my woma alot too so rather than feeding him any more as he has gained 50g since I bought him a few months ago I handle him days 1-3 after a feed and leave him be leading up to a feed.

Otherwise he starts constricting us whenever we get him out lol, it's quite funny but is starting to scare my hubby slightly as he does it way more to him than to me haha, he's paranoid that he has it out for him.

Please keep in mind, I have only had him a few weeks now and one of the weeks he was in shed. I believe the previous owner was feeding him every 5 to seven days. I believe he was feeding him small rats. I should have written this stuff down. He gave me his phone number, but of course like an idiot I lost it. lol I have been feeding him a large mouse once a week. I believe he is about a year old and weighs around 229 grams. I would post a link to my Youtube videos so everyone can see, but I am not sure on the rules of the forum and I do not wish for people to believe I am trying to promote my Youtube channel. lol

Oh, I have two heat sources for him. I have a 60 watt zoomed daylight blue light over his hot side hide and the primary heat source is an zoomed under the tank heater that is set at 90 degrees. The under the tank heater is temp controlled and pretty accurate. He is in a 40 gallon breeder with a hot and cool side hide. The humidity is around 40% most of the time. He is out and about now that I was talking to him outside his tank and the poor thing thinks it is time to eat. Tomorrow I go shopping for some rodents for him. Any other information that might be helpful I am more then willing to try my best to get it to you guys.

Oh and no children or anything that would startle him. You can trust me on this, the issues I am having are due to feeding response and not defensive. lol

I have a hatchling, she was a great and after her shed, she has gotten moody and she arches her back, gets into a double s position, hisses and has her mouth open, once shes picked up she is fine but you just got to work with them and try to get them to get used to you. I dont think its behavour is due to feeding response, maybe it just wasnt handled enough by the previous owner. Hope this helps

OK, now another issue...

Nah, the previous owner handled him a lot. Now I have another issue. How often do Woma Pythons shed? It almost seems like he has preshed opaque eyes, but some of the caps are kind of torn. It is hard to explain. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

I have a hatchling, she was a great and after her shed, she has gotten moody and she arches her back, gets into a double s position, hisses and has her mouth open, once shes picked up she is fine but you just got to work with them and try to get them to get used to you. I dont think its behavour is due to feeding response, maybe it just wasnt handled enough by the previous owner. Hope this helps

Yeah sounds like atypical woma to me, mine is an absolute champ a few days after a feed, but once he is even a bit hungry he goes a bit food mental and starts taste testing various things :), still love the bugger though... also sounds like you may have a retained eyecap, did you check the previous shed to make sure both eyecaps were shed?

Yeah, I would have swore he had a complete shed. I checked and everything. I will def keep an eye on it. He is chilling in his hide right now, so it is very tough to get a good look. I just feed him last night so I do not want to mess with him too much today.

maybe feed him a couple of mice or feed him small rats every 7 days
or maybe you could try some quail

I have a few womas 2 are super easy going but one is exactly like your saying always hungry. I thought maybe with a fair bit of handling shed grow out of it...nope lol she still gets me most times. I find if I get her out with a hook first then handle her she bites less but if I put my hand in her enclosure to get her Bam! She strikes with force. Lucky she's not to big yet and it doesn't hurt. I still love her to bits.

If your woma is 229 grams you should feed it roughly 20% of its body weight which is about 48 grams and a large mouse would roughly be 30 grams, I would increase the feed size to rats of about 50 grams.

Thanks everyone for your comments and posts. The other night I fed her two large mice andynic07 and I believe that is much better. I looked at the small rats the petstore close to me has available and they seem a bit big. I still have two large mice left, after I feed them to my Woma python I will next try a small rat. I am going to try and take him out tonight or tomorrow morning and see how he does. I also want to take him out so I can get a closer look at his eye and take a quality photo of it so I can show people. Thanks again!

Rabbits and chickens and birds go good. Just need to limit the fat you feed them. Do not feed fat rats or other animals with high fat content.

This is mine

Nothing wrong with multiple smaller prey items and I would use up what you have but I also think that you might be surprised at what you woma can eat if it wants to.

Attachments

• 2012-09-02_11-50-13_289.jpg
    2012-09-02_11-50-13_289.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 2012-09-02_12-04-44_671.jpg
    2012-09-02_12-04-44_671.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 149
So I took my male Woma Python whom I named "Skeever" out this morning. I had no issues at all. lol I guess feeding him the correct meals really makes a difference. I think we all knew that would happen. I took a look at his eyes, but I really could not get a great look at them. I still think he has at least one eye with its old skin on it (eye caps). I am just not sure. I tried to take a photo of his face close up. As you all can guess he would not keep still for me to do that though. lol I am going to keep an eye on him and if I think it becomes an issue before his next shed I will take him to the vet. Most of the info I have read states not to worry too much unless it does not come up with the next shed or if the problem persists. The only other concern I have is that last night it sounded like he sneezed twice. I watched him for a while and no open mouth breathing or anything like that. So I sprayed him down a bit thinking he might be a bit dehydrated. I am just wondering if that kind of thing is normal or can be normal with Woma Pythons in general. Thanks for all the help and responses everyone! If you wish to see my snake I do have a Youtube channel that I post a handful of videos of him. I am not trying to promote my channel though and I am not partnered with Youtube, nor will I ever. I do my videos for fun. My name is Bradimus1981 if anyone wishes to check them out. Thanks again!

Yeah, I read how Woma Pythons main diet source in the wild are other reptiles. So I am concerned about making sure not to overfeed him the fat rodent meals. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back