Woma Python Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MalstRavane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Woma Python. It is my first snake, and after doing a lot of research on it, I went out and bought my set up and a one year old female Woma. She has been in her hide for two days straight without leaving. I stay up rather late, (around 1-2am) and i have yet to see her leave during the day or the night, though she does move around in the bamboo shoot hide that i have for her on the hot side of the tank. I was wondering if this is normal for a snake to hide for so long in a new location?
I keep the temperature on the cool side of the tank at around 24C and the hot side 30C. The humidity is 40%, and the tank is 10 gallons, though i am not sure of the exact dimensions, as it was bought at a garage sale.

Sounds fairly normal. How long have you had her? Has she eaten or looking a dark, dull colour?

I just bought her two days ago, and she has been in her hide both days. She hasn't eaten yet because when I bought her on Monday, she had just eaten. The shop I was at (LLLReptile) told me to leave her alone for a week so she could acclimate to the new surroundings, and feed her in a week, so i have yet to feed her myself. Her coloration hasn't changed from what I can see of her inside her hide.

Ok if you've only had her two days that sounds completely normal. It might take her a while to get used to her new surroundings and if she has just eaten a few days ago she won't be on the hunt for a few more days.

:)

Alright, thanks! I was worried, being new to keeping snakes, that something was wrong.

What RF said. Your circumstances are fairly normal behavior for a new purchase. Before you know it your new addition will be strolling the enclosure like she owns it.

What's the enclosure made of??? Glass? Melamine?

Where do u live? Keep an eye on the humidity as u wouldn't want it creeping up much higher.

The easiest thing to remember is to mimic their natural environment.

Is the hide up which end? Cool or warm??

The enclosure is made out of glass with an open mesh top. I live in Southern California, and i'm having some trouble keeping the humidity down. The hide is on the warm end of the enclosure.

I wouldn't worry all that much about the humidity. I live in a very humid tropical climate and know quite a few people who have being keeping womas for a number of years. Glass enclosures aren't always the best for ventilation but with the mesh top it should be fine. I've had my yearling in a similar set up with no issues what so ever.

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet but I would be bumping the temp up to 32~34C.

Alright, I will do that, thank you! Another question: I have a piece of Cholla wood that would work as a great hide, but i'm worried that the insides might be rough, and i have no way to sand the inside of it. Has anyone else heard/thought about using this as a hide?

my woma's warm side is 34-36 and she is in a glass enclosure with a blanket kept on top and fully covered at nite this seems to hold the humidity steady enough but you warm temp definately should be higher - my stimson is on 32-34

I got my Woma just over a month ago, and she didn't want to come out of her hide for around a week, maybe a bit more. Completely normal. Being a Woma you're pretty likely to have her feeding once the week is up too. Now she comes out reasonably often and isn't worried by people in the room. Lovely snake to start off with too, although she does think I'm food more often than not :rolleyes:

Just checking in... How's your Woma going now? Has been a few weeks.

She is doing rather well. You all were right. She now roams the cage like she is the queen. She tries to push up the wire mesh top so often that I have had to start putting rocks on top of it to keep it down (can't afford cage clips at the moment). After everyones suggestions, i boosted the hot side of the cage to 33C and the cool side to 28C. I moved her to F/T fuzzies, and while she ate them for two weeks, she has refused them for the last two weeks. She also hasn't shed since i got her, which is a little under two months ago, and that worries me. Any more advice? I greatly appreciate all the help, as i am new to owning a snake and I really want to take good care of her.

It is getting cool where you are, they don't eat as often in the cool months and I've found with mine that it's several months between sheds and practically none in winter due to not eating as often.

6-8weeks is fairly normal for shedding. Fuzzy rats are fairly small for a yearling woma though so maybe you need to up the food. A good rule of thumb is feeding 20% of their body weight or 1.5 times the thickest part of their body.

As for the problem feeding. How are you defrosting the rats? Check enclosure temps again. Possibly try braining or scenting.

Oh alright, thank you! From what i've found on here, the information I got from the store was bogus. While I did research into Woma's before getting her, I still felt vastly unprepared once I got her.
photo (9).jpg

perhaps even now with the temps adjusted the ambient is still low? I suppose that depends on whether you're using a heat mat/cord, or lamp, but particularly if it's the northern hemisphere it might still be a little chilly away from the heat source particularly if it's 'belly heat'

I am using a lamp. Just an update for everyone here! She continued not to eat for about another three weeks. I had tried everything i could think of and read online, from braining a f/t mouse to trying live. Last week, a friend of mine that has a 4 year old corn snake recommended trying to move her down to a pinkie again, because his snake had done the same thing. She ate the pinkie, so hopefully i will be able to work her back up to mice appropriate to her size. Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back