woma 'sneezing' before slough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog-1979

Reaction score
g'day all

i'm new to the world of woma's , i have my 1st slough's happening now and have noticed some weird 'sneezing' sounds from the 2 woma's in the deepest stage.

my 8 month old uluru shed overnight, he had been hiiden away for the last couple of days, but before bed i noticed he was looking out from his hide, opening his jaw wide, then closing his mouth and pushing out a big sneeze. it got me worried but after keeping an eye on him today he has not shown any issues with breathing or 'sneezed'again

now my 6 yr old SA is in deep shed as well and she is doing the same sneeze, but with no mouth opening before hand, and looks like she is due to slough at any stage now.

so the question is .... is this normal for woma's? , as i have not seen it in other species i have kept ( darwin, coastal, GTP)

i was worried about RI, but it the little fella show's no signs of a problem now, so i'm thinking it might be a trait in the species????

I find my womas sometimes show signs like that during shed. I belive it's just from the fluids they produce to help shed.

It was scary the first time I witnessed it. I just had one of my big females all clogged up in the nose and I thought she was very I'll till she shed and now she is right as rain.

thanks mate, i was a bit scared last night with the little fella, but once he shed all signs went away.....waiting on the old girl to shed now to see if she stops immediatly, then i'll be satisfied there is nothing wrong with em

Snakes even shed the skin from inside their noses....any wonder they get upset....it must feel dreadful

Snakes even shed the skin from inside their noses....any wonder they get upset....it must feel dreadful

i know right....pulling 1 nose hair is bad enough, imagine the whole lining of your nostril

just thought it was weird as i have never seen it in my other pythons....learning something new every day

I believe that because they come from deep in the desert it could be a reason it happens. They don't always have access to water in the wild. One of my big males hardly drinks any water at all. Freak

It freaked me out when I got my first womas. My male wheezes and gets a rasp from the loose scales around his nostrils. He jerks a little bit, too. I was paranoid about RI, but all was solved the moment he shed. After several more sloughs, I am getting used to it.

I believe that because they come from deep in the desert it could be a reason it happens. They don't always have access to water in the wild. One of my big males hardly drinks any water at all. Freak

i picked up a male just last week, the 1st night he left me with a present, the biggest pile of urates ive seen, about the size of a chicken egg and shaped like a soft serve icecream from maccas,lol

then i got my 1st woma bite when i took him out to change his newspaper.....lot's of 1st's for me these last few weeks, hahaha

thanks pythonmum, glad it's just the species and not me freakin out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back