Woma Temperature Gradient Problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toadfist

Reaction score
You can skip down to "Actual Problem Starts Here" if you don't want to read this long-winded American's introduction.

I will start by saying this is my first post in this forum. After exhausting all of my known American sources I am still having issues locating the information I need for my Womas. I am hoping the members of this forum with be able to be much more helpful for me. I would also like to appologize ahead of time if I am asking a question that has been previously answered or if I have posted this in the wrong forum. Anyway, now with my issue!

As an American, Womas are fairly inaccessible to the herptological community as a whole. There are certainly people that have them (CBB of course) but they are highly coveted, and have historically been very expensive(I have seen CBB hatchling pairs go for 1500USD 2-4 years ago, Blackheads still go for that now). These prices were and are far out of my budget, so I would just read about them and drool while dreaming of the day I made enough money to get them.

Fast forward to present day, a week ago I finished building my new Boid rack and went to a reptile trade-show hoping to get some snakes with the intended purpose of breeding. I was not planning on aquiring womas at this show, because I didn't think I could afford them. When I found a vendor selling a pair for 400USD, I didn't have a choice but to get them. So I left the show with 2 snakes as opposed to the 4-5 I had planned on. They have been wonderful so far, the best tempermented snakes I have ever worked with as well as the best eaters. Maybee too good! Anyway...

---Actual Problem Starts Here---

So I am currently keeping 2 2-month old womas in separate tubs in a rack type setup. They are on Zoo-Med reptibark, with appropriate sized hides and heating(under-tub heat tape with thermostat and digital thermometers). The tubs are a bit big for hatchlings, but with the hides, I am sure they will grow into it fine.

The problem I have been having is with the heating gradiant inside the tubs. The tubs are 43cm*91cm*15cm with heat tape(28cm*30cm) on one side of the tub. I have read that ambient air temps on Womas are best kept between 27-30C and that the hot spot should be about 35C. This is causing a problem because I can't get the cold end of the tub over 27C without the hot end being 41C+! So is it better to have it colder on the cold end or hotter on the hot end? A different way to phrase it would be what is the maximum safe hot spot, as long as the snake can get cooler if it wants? Also, please let me know if the temp information I already had was totally off. Thanks for the help!

dont worry to much about air temps as long as it isnt droping much lower than 20c. warm end 33-35 cold end around 24/27c hides at both ends and they should be fine

Thanks! I had not even thought about dual hides. I will get that taken care of soon! Will those temps be ok for breeding too in a couple of years, as long as I cool them to 16c for a couple of months? What would the optimum cooling temp be?

Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons. Author: Michael Swan. This book is a must for anyone who is looking at keeping Australian pythons. It is packed with practical and accurate information about keeping and breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back