Woma's and mating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingera84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a trio of woma's and just recently i have put the male and female together while doing work to there enclosure and they have been mating. is this a usual occurance. in my years of experience this hasnt happend. Thoughts?

From what I seen and heard womas are really horny snakes and will hook up whenever, where ever.

thanks, i have had womas before but come to think of it they have never really been together all that often. I just got this pair in dec which have been in and enclosure together for two years and never any sign of mating. I seperated them as soon as i got got them and put them together to re arrange enclosures and bam they are into it. Good sign come winter anyhow. Looking good for this season. thanksView attachment 280278

so update is she is gravid by the looks...she is swollen refused her last meal and has been lying on her side not completely turned over ....does this sould like she is gravid?

Sounds promising, or not depending on whether you're prepared for a bunch of hatchies in a few months :p

My was pairing my Topaz aswell just to see what would happen, and noticed mating quite a bit about 1-2 months ago. She's now lying upside down most of the time, but is still accepting food - so not sure if gravid or she's just easing the pressure on her belly from the meals?

Time will tell, although i'm hoping gravid because i've never noticed her do this before.

They were mating, but last few weeks i thought nothing of it. But she is getting fat and the whites between her scales are stretched out and then she refused food...she isnt shedding as she was shedding when the pair were mating not long ago. Her eyes are clear, but time will tell. she is lying kind of half rolled but not fully over. The male was in with her 4 weeks ago ( when i noticed them mating) but have been together previous to that but no mating.
I am moving 650 km away in two weeks time so timing is NOT GOOD!!!!! They will either have to all go in car or fly ( still 100km too airport anyway) i worried what to do with her??? Any advise?? This was not to my plan haha

The female has started to go into shed( cloudy eyes) so may explain the non eating, but not the swollen look and basking! But hey it's not unusual either. I'm not sure if I should expect eggs in a few weeks after the shed or not. I have read that it takes roughly 3months from mating to egg laying so if that is true then she is only roughly 5-6 weeks from mating and going into shed. Can anyone with experience help with time periods in terms from mating to egg laying. There isn't any specific info around and I have not breed woma before thanks

Very unlikely that she will lay or is actually gravid. She will not become gravid until she ovulates, which usually occurs after a cooling down period. It is possible for snakes to mate all year round but nothing will come of it until the female ovulates. Ovulation looks like swelling, much the same as if she has eaten a large meal.

Yes, she has been very swollen I just weighed her and she has only put on like 40grams in last couple of weeks. Only one feed since last weighed. Keep an eye on her. I really hope she isn't . Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back