Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bel03

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, as some of you know, i have had a life long fear of lizards. From garden skinks to goanna's, if they even looked at me, i would end up covered head to toe in goosebumps. :oops: My children & partner want lizards though, & i really do like like them, i have just never been able to go near them! So anyway, i started spending time with my sister in laws frilly's, & just recently my mates bearded dragon, to try get over my fear........& just yesterday, we made progress! I actually held my mates bearded dragon without crying! :D Please dont 'rain on my parade' ;) i know its not a big deal for some/most of you, but i have cried every time i have tried, for over a yr now, & i am actually really proud of myself! I hardly slept last night, i am still so excited, i even picked him up, not just had him put in my hands! :p Yay for me!

Soon, we will have another family member!

Haha Bel, good on you for facing your fears! :p

Hopefully you get a new family member soon. However, I must warn you that lizards are more addictive than snakes!

good on you Bel .... nothing worse than a phobia that beats you i have a shocking one of spiders oh gosh just thinking of them i get the heebies lol ,,, so massive pat on the back for being brave!

Congratulations with your progress :)
It's good to see people concerting their fear's.

Good luck x

Good on you Bel, hope it was a great experience and you soon over come your fear;). Do you think you'll soon get another pet???

Good for you bel!!!! I am so proud of you! Believe it or not, this time last year I was petrified of snakes. I took my then 2yr old to a reptile show and she wanted to hold the childrens python. and suddenly something clicked inside of me and i thought, hey if this baby can hold it why cant I and since then i have seen their true beauty...

Thanks people! I am still so so excited! I cant wait for more snuggles with 'Mr Cranky'........yep, my first cuddle was with a big boy with a big attitude! :lol: Sam, i only have the one snake still, although i really cant wait for the next, & the next, im waiting until i know for certain which i want......more. So when we go down the lizard road, i will be strong & do the same! If i could just make up my mind things would be alot easier.......although, maybe not easier on the bank account! ;)

Fang, we most certainly are going to get another pet! I am doing heaps of research on Beardies, thats what i want......oh & that is the kids & hubby's pick too, luckily! ;)

Newtolovingsnake, it really is the best feeling hey! While lying in bed, wide awake last night, i kept thinking 'you idiot, crying like a baby, & for what?':lol: Plus, now the kids & hubby think im 'awesomer', so christmas should be good! ;)

Last edited:
Nice work! :D It is kinda funny though when you think about it, that you're fine with snakes but not lizards heh it's usually the other way around =p.

Congrats, do you have any idea why your so scared of lizards, yet snakes dont bother you? Its interesting.
But well done.

well done Bel it takes a strong person to take charge and the steps necessary to over come a fear/phobia, i think this speaks volumes to your character, don't let any ones dismissive attitude of your achievement get you down unless they have/had a fear or phobia they wont really know how impressive or hard it is to overcome something.

very few people actually do anything about there fears and simply live with or avoid them, good on you for being strong enough to do something about it.

I have no idea why.......ive just always, & i mean always, been afraid of them. Dad used to enjoy telling everyone the story of when i was in my first yr of school, he got a ph call to come & pick me up cause i got in trouble for picking up a gtp that the other kids were throwing rocks at, but if my brothers came anywhere near me with lizards........i would scream the neighbourhood down! The only time i can remember having a 'bad' experience with them though was my first school camp.........i was chased by goanna's........& had nightmares for months! Picklepants, i chose to face my fear cause both my kids & my partner really want lizards.......& its been my fault they haven't been able to get them.......my fear was literally that bad that if they bought them into the house, i would have moved out.......& who would have cooked & cleaned then! :lol:

Thanks Tristan, i am really proud! Its been a phobia that has always confused me, so i am glad it is finally gone!

Last edited:
Good work Bel, I hope to be the same with our carpets soon ;) getting there :D
You've given me some inspiration!

Well done good for you takes real courage to face a lifelong fear whatever they maybe as you probably know theres no way a garden skink could hurt you

Nighthawk, you can do it! Just do it at your own pace, & you will know when you are ready. It took me many attempts, i sat & watched them for hours, i fed & done their water (without them touching me) & then moved up to having them put in my hands.......i cried everytime for the first 100+ times, as soon as they were in my hands i would just freeze! Then on sunday.......i must have had my 'big girl panties' on, cause i just bit my tounge & picked him up........there were no tears, so i put him on my lap & pat him........still no tears.......& now im in love! Goodluck with the carpets, i have all faith that you can do it!
Pythrulz, i do know garden skinks cant hurt me, & i guess i have known that all along.........it was just a really frustrating fear that i thought i would never overcome.......but we now are getting our first beardie hopefully at the end of the week, i just have to make the finishing touches to the enclosure! Cant wait to introduce him/her to you all! :D

Oh your a real Sweetie Bell all the best with another family pet

That's great Bel! I felt scared of my first snake after she's bitten me a few times, I felt really stupid because I knew it didn't hurt, but the fear was there anyway. She was an adult spotted python, really nothing to be scared of, but when I went to get her out I would start sweating and shaking. It took me a few months to get over it, it was very strange to be frightened of an animal but really like it at the same time.

I bought a 7 month old MD as my second snake and he had a much better temperament than the spotted, and he helped me to be more comfortable with snakes, but I was still frightened of the large ones. I overcame that fear a bit over a year ago, just in time too, I bought my adult coastal while getting rid of the last bits of fear of big snakes, he needed to put on weight and recover from his previous owner's terrible neglect and abuse.

I'm proud of you for working on your fear of lizards for the sake of your family who would like to have them as pets, it's a very selfless thing to do. Most people never try to conquer fears like that, so you've shown yourself to be brave and up for a challenge because you love your family :)

Nawwwww, thanks so much guys........i didnt expect so many nice comments! I thought there would be more of the 'big deal' comments........i mean, i now know how silly my fear really was! But thanks for understanding! Tahlia, its so great that you also overcame your fears, cause i understand how frustrating it is........you know its silly, but you just cant help it! Ive always copped so much slack for being afraid of lizards & not snakes, cause it generally is the other way around, its been something i have never been able to explain! I always just put it down to the fact that i dont really like any creepy crawlies, like crickets, grasshoppers etc, & i guess cause lizards have legs too, i put them in the same catergory! :rolleyes: Bit weird thinking of it now, cause ive always loved my scorpion! The crickets have been something ive been able to get past, the kids feed the scorpion for me.......they will the lizard too! Grasshoppers still send me running a hundred mile in the opposite direction though! :lol:
Im enjoying being 'flavor of the day' with the kids & hubby though........they are more proud of me then i am myself! :D & now we will all be able to enjoy another pet........i am wearing myself thin though, the human-pet ratio in our house is abit extreme........soon i will start charging an entry fee at the gate! :lol: Anyway, thanks again so much for all the kind words.......i am still so excited!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back