Wood Smoker Ovens - Hints and advice...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iv never smoked and foods before but i do remember my grandmother doing it afew times and she added in the skins of fruits like apple and citrus it was never very much skin added but it tasted good. as for hard woods here is a list( i do dt and had to study all of these)
blackbutt, brush box, red gum, grey iron bark, red iron bark, jarrah, w.a karri, spotted gum, sydney blue gum, tallowood, turpentine (yes its a wood) victorian ash, rose wood, walnut and oak just to name a few.

if you want to know what it will smell like just get some shavings or a little pice and use a lighter to set it on fire then blow out the flame once there is a red ember.

Have had a smoker for a while now. Hav tried everything from fish (whole small bream and fillets of reef fish, tailor, mackeral etc.) to sauages, lamb chops. Hav used it over gas bbq grill ( with bbq lid open) with good success. Just make sure bbq burner is on low. with fish dry it off a little with paper towel and add a little sprinkle of chilli flakes and lime or lemon juice. Give it about 15 min (should still be moist in middle) till cooked thru ( Then all is needed is jatz , a teaspoon of sour cream and a bit of the smoked fish on top. Food of kings. Oh . . . try smoking egg plant as well.

i do nearly all our mackeral in our nipper kipper smoker.500 ml of water ,3 tablespoons of salt and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and soak the fillets for 6 or more hours. i like the rum flavor shavings from bcf the best with the fish. smokers are great and their are heaps of options to experiment with.
cheers
simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back