Woodie Cleaning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

888lowndes888

Reaction score
Just wondering how all you people keeping woodies colonies clean out the tubs? I am looking at keeping them in those tubs with wheels you can get at the cheap shop but a bit confused about how to go about cleaning without loosing the colony. Any peoples tips or methods would be greatly appreciated as my beardie is going through crazy amounts of woodies at the moment and without a breeding colony or two is becoming rather expensive!
Cheers!!:D

Hey Ads, if you mount lots of egg cartons ontop of each other and cover 3/4 length of you box, all you have to do is replace the food every few days and then angle the box up and tap so that any waste products or dead woodys vibrate to the bottom corner . then either scoop out or use the dustbuster. They are pretty clean compared to say Crickets so you wont have to many probs. just follow the instructions found on herpshop. Cracks

Ads when you buy a couple of tubs to start with get different aged ones so you always will have feeders,ie 1 tub of large adults and 1 tub of small to mediums. Cheers

That's what I do too. Just leave them for 20mins or so after you shake them into the corner so all the live ones can scurry back to the cartons. I do it once a week.

No worries will probably order off herp trader. How many litres are your tubs you guys use to breed?? Also are the tub and colony sizes sufficient to keep food up to your Lizards??
Thanks guys:D

I've got a 30Lt tub which is big enough to feed my 4 beardies and 4 netted dragons. I started with 2 boxes of 55 day olds from the Herp Shop about 6-8 months ago. They were breeding out of control for a while when the lizards were off their food but I put them in a cooler spot for a month and they slowed down.

i have 3 tubs, 2 full, 1 empty, all wtih the vaseline rim.

i shake all the crap off teh top layer of egg cartons and leave the tubs in the sun till theyre dry, i line the clean tub with newspaper.
then i move the shaken, dry egg cartons that the roaches have climbed back into into the clean tub, and repeat teh process the the tub is as full as it can get.

then i put all the remaining uncleaned egg cartons into one of the 2 dirty tubs, bash teh empty tub to get all the crap into a corner then scoop it out with a spoon, wipe over it with damp paper towels, line it with paper and bash and dry the cartons before moving them over the the 2nd now clean tub.

teh roaches remaining in teh dirty tub i leave with an egg carton or 2 and come out whenever i think of it to bash them into one of the cleaned tubs.

theres generally only a few babies remaining by the time ive dont t hat a few times and i pick them out with a spoon to add them mto the cleaned tubs.

the whole process takes a while, but its somethign i just keep coming back to between cleaning the house and stuff.

a couple might escape here or there, but this is the method i've found best.

Ok thanks for that guys. Yeah i also feed fruit and veg, I make a salad every morning but by the time i get home its gone!! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back