Woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellie

Reaction score
There have been a few questions about 'em the past couple of days. and I have a new one to add to the collection...

A lot of the place I've looked at (threads, Herp Trader, ect) have said that they have that wire flyscreen stuff over the top for ventilation after cutting a hole or whatever. My question is: do you HAVE to do this? Would drilling very small holes be okay too?
I mean, I'm able to do it, and I've got everything that I need to do it, but would drilling holes be okay, and I just save myself a whole heap of time?

Thanks all

No, you really need wire mesh, as it allows much better ventilation and stop gas and humidity build-up, which kills the insects quickly

Drilling holes won't save time in the end coz by the time you've drilled enough, it would've been faster to cut a hole or two and glue on the flywire.

Dont bother with a lid. Just paint the rim of the tub with fluon and they wont escape.

hmm I didn't even think of that Jas. Thanks for the info people.

RedEye...how do you keep them down? Using that Fluon stuff or Vaseline or whatever?

Any other help is great=)

sorry to barge in on the thread, but im going to breed cockroaches..and i was wondering, is vaseline safe to use?

I just keep the lid off and paint a layer of fluon and Vaseline. I did have a lid and drilled holes in it but it took to long and ended up killing them because not enough ventilation

is fluon like a repellant or a non grip...like how does it stop them from escaping?

is fluon like a repellant or a non grip...like how does it stop them from escaping?

Its a slippery, dry powdery coating. The main advantage over vaseline is that it isnt sticky.

Fluon is the commercial name given to a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) solution. It's the same stuff in non-stick cookware.

m_beardie...go start your own thread :p I kid I kid:). People say you can use Vaseline, but then that means it'll be on your roaches, and you don't want to be feeding your animals that. Your best bet is to buy the Fluon from the Herp Shop...may be a little more expensive, but worth it (from what I've heard anyway)

I guess I'll just buy me some and not worry about the lid then :D

sorry to barge in on the thread, but im going to breed cockroaches..and i was wondering, is vaseline safe to use?

I've never come across any problems with Vaseline, but if you use it sometimes the woodie poop clings on.Vaseline also can get a little sticky :evil:

Fluon is your best option :D

I wasn't aware of this at the time, but get as small a quantity of Floun as you can. I stole a small vial worth (~15mL) from Leigh, and I used it to make a 10cm strip all the way around a 2ft tank. Then use it to make several feeding containers. I used hardly any.

I know have Leigh's bulk supply ;) but most of it has aggregated. I don't know how effective it is anymore. It seems impossible to get it to dissolve again. I might try heating it up.

If anyone needs a small amount of fluon and goes to ahs or is around my area, i'm more than happy to lend some :p

I've got a 22L (I think) tub that's fluoned, and vented, all ready to go. If it's still unoccupied come next meeting, I'll bring it too. Add it to the raffle :p

I wasn't aware of this at the time, but get as small a quantity of Floun as you can. I stole a small vial worth (~15mL) from Leigh, and I used it to make a 10cm strip all the way around a 2ft tank. Then use it to make several feeding containers. I used hardly any.

I know have Leigh's bulk supply ;) but most of it has aggregated. I don't know how effective it is anymore. It seems impossible to get it to dissolve again. I might try heating it up.

The instructions I got when I bought my 250ml bottle is to shake it gently every month or so....has lasted me over 2 years and is constantly borrowed. :)

I don't have lids on my roach tubs when they are inside..but when they are in the garage I'm too paranoid that rats/mice/other bugs are going to climb in and have fun so I have lids on them. :)

The instructions I got when I bought my 250ml bottle is to shake it gently every month or so....has lasted me over 2 years and is constantly borrowed. :)
I wish I was told that. It makes sense. It's a colloid suspension. Once you get aggregation happening, it's a cascading effect. It only gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back