worming feeder mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Springherp

Reaction score
How many people here, who breed their own feeder mice or rats, worm them? If so, how do you do it? what product do you use? does every mouse in your colony get wormed? or just the breeders?
Thanks in advance.

I use .01 ml of ivermectin injected under the skin of all my breeder mice every 6 months.With rats it's .01ml per 100 grams of rat or just .01ml for under 100 grams.Just my opinion,never had any bad effects on mice or snakes. Does anyone else use this method???

Mothers pass worms on to their young through their milk so you only need to worm, the breeders and keep the cages clean and your hands clean (especialy if you have dogs) and their shouldn't be any problems

small animal wormer's active ingredient is piperazine, it treats roundworm

You can also use Vetafarm Wormout Gel which is a water soluble bird wormer. I remeber rodentrancher saying they use this so it must work ok

Does freezing mice/rats for 3 months prior to feeding eliminate any chance of worm transmission?

Hi All, we've now changed our worming and mite treatment. We now use Ivomec Liquid which is a sheep medication(oral drench Cost us $120 for 5 ltrs. We use 10mls per 10litres of drinking water for 16days. We don't do any weaning off for 7days after that. Its a lot better than Wormout Gel. Only need to use it every 6 months or so. Got it from one of the local Ag Supply places. Was recommended to us by a big rodent breeder here in South Oz. Now we just have to sort out our automatic watering system and find some nipple waterers that won't darn well leak. Too many wet boxes. Grrrr!!! Cheers Cheryl

when you get some of them cheryl can you pm me and tell me there name as i have just gone into food production for my snakes and i have bought some nipple waterers and they leak
I got 4 wistars off junglepython as well as 2 quackenbush mice they are great !

My auto waterers don't leak, No idea of the brand though.
I gotta say... i love rat racks... more rats for a lot less work.

Geez Afro, I'm glad Cheryl saw your response and not Dave. He might of gottten upset about you talking about his wifes wet box like that. LOL :lol:

Yep, ivermectin is the best bet. I have not used it like you Cheryl, but I must try your method. I just used to use .01 ml for anything under 100grams or .01 ml per 100grams for big rats, I always inject under the skin to make sure ALL rats get the right dose, but hey if it works for you, I think I might give it a go. Cause worming all snakes and rats every 6 months actually cost's more in needles than chemicals!!!

Wet Boxes

Yes, Afro's a naughty boy. Glad Dave didn't see it hey? Yes, we use rack systems for our Rats n Mice. But these darn leaky nipple waterers really p... us off. Wet boxes all the time. I ordered some today(100), but they take 6 weeks to come from Italy. AND THEY NEVER LEAK!!! YeeHaa!!! Cost is $3.30 each - expensive, but will be worth it if they live up to their name hey? When I was weaning off and cleaning all the nests today, I found 8 wet boxes. Grrr!!! Cheers Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back