worming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a personal preference unless you are sure they have worms. Some people worm them once or twice a year, others never worm unless parasites are confirmed on a stool sample. You will get many strong opinions on the subject!

i never worm any of my reptile unless i know for sure they have worms.

well wen they poo we clean it up straight away, i always check to see if there are any worms in there, also i open their mouths every now and then and look at the back of their throat. but checking their poo would be the best way and if they throw up check their vomit too.

well wen they poo we clean it up straight away, i always check to see if there are any worms in there, also i open their mouths every now and then and look at the back of their throat. but checking their poo would be the best way and if they throw up check their vomit too.

perfect.. thank you very much. appreciated.

This might be a silly question but how do I make one open its mouth?

i hold the head with my left hand and using my right hand i grab the skin/lower jaw and gently pull down with stuborn snakes i sometimes have to pull a little harder. but i never use to much force as i do not want to hurt them.

You folks are rather rough with the mouth opening! If you get a cotton swab handle (hatchlings) or a pencil/pen (adult carpets) you can gently roll it at the lips and they will open. Move it to the back of the mouth to prop it open. No fuss or force necessary and a great view of the mouth.

Thanks guys :) I've always wondered and have only gotten to take a sneak peek when they're eating or on the odd occasion yawning.

If a reptile has live healthy worms you will likely not see any signs until the burden gets to high. Openign their mouth and checking their stools will not tell you much. if you want to be sure then you need to do a faecal exam if you dont want to pay for that to be done then worm them preventatively and only feed safe foods. If you have lizards then i rec you worm them more often but also get faecal exams done more regularily as they tend to pic up more parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back