Worried about my Mac..she has swelled up!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys..

Hope someone can help me here..

Just checked on my spotted, shes about to shed so she has been in hiding all day..
I lifted her hide and noticed she had a big swell...i freaked out and took pics straight away, they are not the best as she is literally about to shed so is all grey.
She is 13months old...She last ate 2 weaners 7 days ago,and she had pooed since, temps are normal and she has been fine all week..

Is it normal to swell like this? I hope im worrying over nothing... :(

Here is the pic, i misted her before taking it that is what the white spots are on her..

P1010339.jpg

someone on here a few days ago was mentioning that their snake had a swelling too and it was food that was not digested by the snake and was causing the swelling.... i think they had to take it to a vet and pump the build up of food out.... but if she did poo, she should be alrite.... im not an expert but yea dats all i can help u wif.... if it's worrying u alot, take her to a vet....

hopefully someone can give u better advice...

good luck

The poop you found is most likely not her last feed. They can take weeks to digest food. The swelling could be her last feed still sitting there, and gases from the dead rodent building up inside her. She needs more heat to get her metabolism going so she can break the food down and digest it.

Is she in a fairly big enclosure? Although she might seem ok in it, perhaps she isn't spending enough time in the warm end.

The person on here the other day with the olive who swelled up had to give it more heat to speed its metabolism, not have the food pumped out!

Try giving it more heat and don't handle it and see how it goes.

Thanks Guys

I checked her this morning and she doesnt seem to be swelled like she was in the pic.. i took her out last night for more pics aswell
Her enclosure is always at 28-32 degrees, and she has never had a problem digesting before

Here is one of the pics from last night,she goes chocolate when she is about to shed!

P1010344.jpg

Might be best to change your substrate. Bark with snakes isnt always a good mix.
Is it possible that she may have ingested some of it?

Might be best to change your substrate. Bark with snakes isnt always a good mix.
Is it possible that she may have ingested some of it?

I dont think its possible, shes only had 3 feeds since she has had bark in there and each feed i sit and watch her so she doesnt swallow any bark, coz im so paranoid of it happening!

Food isn't digesting... Bump up the daytime heat! If it's already at 32-33 degrees on the hot end, put it on for 12hrs....
If you've already done that, bump up the nighttime heat too.

I have seen some pretty gruesome looking swelling on ants just before shedding, seen one that looked like it had a major infection in the head, but it all went away once shed. If I remember correctly it was due to excess fluid that builds up prior to shedding.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on her and if she still doesn't look right get her to a vet quick fast and in a hurry. I suspect she'll look like she usually does once she's shed.

If you're that paranoid about the bark then use something else as substraight. Apart form possibly looking better I don't seen any advantage over something such as newspaper. I know people think newspaper is daggy, but it's got quite a few advantages over alot of other options i feel.

i saw the same thread a couple of days and pumped up the heat a little bit more just in case. I also changed the substrate to paper. It helps me keep an eye on whats coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back