would gravid monitors refuse food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_kid

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all ive tried but the femal gilleni just wont accpet the idear of eating lol i thought maybe she might just need a bit more settling in time then i remembered sum gravid snakes refuse food wondering if it might be the case wiht her any idears

everything is going as its ment to jimmy. don't worry about it. feed her up after she lays.

Gravid goannas eat. I've often had gilleni eat up until a couple of days before laying.

Jimmy,
Normally female monitors will refuse food a few days before laying. My female tristis still took lots of food until only 2 days before laying. Also something else I noticed (apart from the obvious egg buldges ;-) ) was that her spine became a lot more pronounced, almost like an anorexic for a coupla days before laying too.

Simon Archibald

There has been diuranl and nocturnal nesting noted in monitor species...not sure specifically on V.gilleni.

Aside from a good deep nest box, moisten (with a spray bottle) a section of the cool end of the enclosure. Make sure the substrate is nice and moist right down to the floor of the enclosure. My tristis girl completely ignored the nesting site I put in and tunneled under the water bowl...I always keep this moist so the monitors have a good tunneling substrate if they wish.

Simon Archibald

Hope it goes well for you mate. I've just woken up to my Varanus tristis still mating. They've been at it since 8pm last night.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back