would not eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday everyone , today I had friends around with there snakes for a visit for the first time since i'v had my olive and tonight when he was ready to be fed , he had no interest at all , but did seem uncomfortable because there where other snakes around him. Could this cause him to not want to eat , like a disturbed routine maybe the other two snakes were females a mature olive and black head and he is a male .
cheers

OPMV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in other wods its stupid to keep or hold etc. other captive bred snakes around each other or near, or in same enclosure.. etc. etc. research it..

what you did today (whenever you did it) could have potentially killed your animal..)

research OPMV, and i wouldnt be doing it again...

massive write ups both on here and if you search it in google, you will learn all about it. It is a very contagious nervous system infection/disease that almost always kills the snake that has it... if it doesn't kill the animal, it severely injures it for the remainder of the animals life.
Can be spread by touch (other animals or from your hands), poor hygiene is almost always a massive contributing factor.

pft.....I hate hearing everyone going on and on about OPMV. How many of you have any understanding of it? How many cases have you heard of in the last couple of years? And tell me how is it any different to when you people buy another snake? Do you take the new snake to the vet and have it tested? I think a lot of people go on about it to make themselves sound a little more inteligent then they are.......IMO.......I wouldn't advise doing it each and every day but I am sure that earl would have known the people concerned and the condition of their snakes before having them around.....OPMV???

i agree with u cwarren im sure if someone actually knows thier snake has it im sure they would be smart enough not to take thier sick snake to someone else's place with it to give to other snakes........

pft.....I hate hearing everyone going on and on about OPMV. How many of you have any understanding of it? How many cases have you heard of in the last couple of years? And tell me how is it any different to when you people buy another snake? Do you take the new snake to the vet and have it tested? I think a lot of people go on about it to make themselves sound a little more inteligent then they are.......IMO.......I wouldn't advise doing it each and every day but I am sure that earl would have known the people concerned and the condition of their snakes before having them around.....OPMV???

Teehee, I like how u get up people for not understanding OPMV, then ask people if they take new snakes to be tested.. well done!

Strange1,

You raise a good point...lol

Cwarren,

Where can i get my new snake tested with out taking a brain tissue sample?

AussiePythonLover,

Most people wont know the animal has "OPMV" until it is terminal.

yes it could cause it not to eat earl. why dosent every one give earl some advice and make your own thread about opmv.

Yes Earl, as Chuck said it could have caused your snake not to eat.

OPMV is a very real threat, look into it yourself and make your own mind up but im pretty sure you wont have other snakes around your's and will follow correct quarintine proceedures after you do the reaserch.

Donk

I doubt OPMV would have that effect within a few hours. What would effect the snake isd the presence of other, unfamiliar snakes. If it doesn't know the snakes' scents, especially from other species, it might be stressed. particularly if it's a young snake.

:p

Hix

I doubt OPMV would have that effect within a few hours. What would effect the snake isd the presence of other, unfamiliar snakes. If it doesn't know the snakes' scents, especially from other species, it might be stressed. particularly if it's a young snake.

:p

Hix

Hi Hix, i dont think anyone was saying that the snake got opmv and then wouldn't eat.

As you said it was the presance of the other snakes that may of made it refuse food, i think everyone was just pressing the point, that if you are going to bring all snakes from dirrerent collections togerther you run the risk of spreading disease.

Donk

Well my snake still does that, eats it once its left alone.. doesnt mean cause it has no interest for the first half an hour that i dangle it for that it has opvm..

Ashleigh:];700853 said:
Well my snake still does that, eats it once its left alone.. doesnt mean cause it has no interest for the first half an hour that i dangle it for that it has opvm..

No.

OPMV is a Virus, like Donk said it was only mentioned because its not a good idea to bring snakes together, incase on of the snakes involved did have a virus it may be spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back