Would you kill a cat....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you shoot a cat if it had a collar?

• Yes - I regularly go shooting/have access to equipment

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • No - I regularly go shooting/have access to equipment

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Yes - never shot anything though

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • No - never shot anything though

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • No opinion - can't say

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatelina

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
...with a collar?
We know that cats are very detrimental to our native wildlife...and it has been said that if it's out of it's house/yard it's feral...
But if it has a collar and you haven't seen it directly attacking wildlife... would you shot it, if you could?

EDIT: I am not having a go at anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am just curious as to other peoples' opinions.

Last edited:
collared cats eat just as many natives as ones without collars

No. I would try to catch it and call its owner. Otherwise, I would take it to the pound. I'm not a fan of outdoor cats, because of the safety issues for our native animals, but also the cat's safety.

I know someone who does shoot cats, including pet cats, and I think it's reprehensible to make the pet pay for its owner's mistake.

If it's outside, it's feral - very simple.

Tim Nias used to have a cat skin on top of his entertainment unit...with collar still attached!

What about the fact that it's a pet? Fair enough it shouldn't be running loose but still.... No consideration for the owners?

If it's outside, it's feral - very simple.

Tim Nias used to have a cat skin on top of his entertainment unit...with collar still attached!

Did he call the number on the tag and let the owners know to not expect their pet to come home?

I don't know about that, but the skin definitely exists.

The way I see it, is that everybody in Australia knows that there are people who strongly dislike cats. They also know that cats get hit by cars, bitten by snakes, attacked by dogs, stuck up tree's and even run away. So why on earth would someone who loves their cat so much let it roam outside and be exposed to all these dangers? An outside cat is a neglected cat.

What about the fact that it's a pet? Fair enough it shouldn't be running loose but still.... No consideration for the owners?

Well you could also say the owners have no consideration for the local wildlife....

And seeing as the wildlife can't fight for itself if it's out it's free game.

Saying this i'd most likely contact the owners and explain that if it's out again chances are it won't come home:D

Ben

I was sitting out the front yard undercover as it was raining the other night having a cigarrette. I was sitting there listening to a frog croacking when suddenly her cat jumped on it and tried to get away with the frog in its mouth. I picked up a bit of wood instantly and scared the cat into letting the frog go. The cat ran off but i made sure the frog got away.
If you were to find a cat with a collar whilst you are shooting out in the bush you should not worry about the collar and shoot it. Think of the damage it will do the the wildlife.

very true Steve :D

(imo) owning a cat that is not in an enclosed cattery (when outside) is just so 'anti-conservation' and irresponsible. .

I have no problems whatsoever with cats indoors or cats in an enclosed cattery ouside. But cats that are let roam outside will usually kill native animals, reptiles and birds if given the opportunity, and I find that totally irresponsible and anti-conservation of the owners that allow this to happen.

I also find it disgusting that some people dump unwanted cats, kittens or dogs in the bush 'to fend for themselves' rather than trying to source a responsible home or take them to an animal shelter.

It's not the cats fault (being a predator) but it is the fault of irresponsible cat owners (imo)

Dogs that are let run free around the neighbourhood (and not kept on the owners property) are equally irresponsible (imo) as some dogs will also kill native animals and birds if given the chance

thats all I'll say on the subject. ;)

I've been known to shoot them, no regrets. Probably saved countless lives of native birds , mammals and reptiles. Don't care what anyone else thinks aboutme admitting this, I at least saved some wildlife from being pointlessly killed.

I should have changed the poll options...
Not that I shoot animals.. but I'm fine with a collar-less cat being humanely shot, but I picked no to eliminating a cat with a collar.
I guess it's a fine line really..because if I'd seen it more than once out and about it would be gone.. but if it was just once I would have empathy for its owners because it might have unintentionally escaped and they could be looking for it.

What a sob story!

I was at a friends house in the weekend, and no sooner had I said about how cats destroy native wildlife had their cat come up to me with a rocket frog in its mouth! Worse still, it was in their garden! So not even escaped!

I was at a friends house in the weekend, and no sooner had I said about how cats destroy native wildlife had their cat come up to me with a rocket frog in its mouth! Worse still, it was in their garden! So not even escaped!

Did they care?

The owners had no consideration for the native wildlife their cat was consuming. Its not as if they can plead ignorance either. Everyone knows that cats eat whatever they can catch.

The owners had no consideration for the native wildlife their cat was consuming. Its not as if they can plead ignorance either. Everyone knows that cats eat whatever they can catch.

Heh...or just catch and kill for the fun of it.

Hard to see a collar through a scope at 100 meters at night, but as long as it's not near a house it's fair game.

yeah but if it one of those shiny fake diamond collars you can just aim for the glint in the spot light :)

Just because a cat doesn't have a collar doesn't mean it isn't a pet! My cat that lives with my mum doesn't wear a collar - she just gets out of them. She is allowed out during the day and stays inside at night. She has never caught a bird and they all start swooping her when she sits outside watching them. All she has been able to catch has been a baby mouse, a mouse in our garage and cockroaches and skinks. Oh and my pet mice :rolleyes: She is too scared to go anywhere and stays in our yard. Should she be shot?
My bf's kitten stays inside and only comes out on the verandah while I am out there. However I think he will be a hunter, so he will only go outside under supervision.
And what about cats that stay outside so they can catch mice and rats in stables and sheds? If you go into someone's back paddocks and saw a cat there would you shoot it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back