xf falcon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DA_GRIZ

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

i have been given a xf falcon and i am wanting to use this as a project car.

i would like to fit 20" fg fpv gt wheels on it. but all the ones i have found only suit from AU upwards.

what is there i can change on the xf so i can fit these wheels?

cheers matt

i'm not sure. there are some getting around with bf gt-p wheels so they can go on somehow

you can get spacers i had an ED falcon and i had to use spacer for it. they are illegal though but a certain tyre center told me to just take them off when i went for rego but i never did and i never got pulled up for them. all the do is bolt on to the existing studs and have new studs the rims bolt onto.

so why can't you fit them?

stud pattern?

It would be most likely just the off sett of the rim, you may need to fold the guards or use wheel spacers depending on which way the off set is

Can I ask why you want 20' rims as if your after the cool look factor than ok but if your after handling and performance then they are way too big and you should go for a 17-18" rim this will give you more side wall witch will give a better ride and a LOT more cornering grip

Lewy

It would be most likely just the off sett of the rim, you may need to fold the guards or use wheel spacers depending on which way the off set is

Can I ask why you want 20' rims as if your after the cool look factor than ok but if your after handling and performance then they are way too big and you should go for a 17-18" rim this will give you more side wall witch will give a better ride and a LOT more cornering grip

Lewy

i agree with lewy on that one!

only reason for 20's was cause i like the style of the rim but if i can get ones similar but smaller or even ba rims then i'll be more then happy

Got any pics of the car?? I'm a huge Ford nut LOL and love to go on track days hahahaaa

it will look good but ride really rough. my mate did up his old XF looked really good very clean and he also put a turbo on it so it was a bit of a sleepa. scared the **** of me when i out my foot down!

The problem Is all the kids and any one who doesn't have any real idea out there putting 20" rims on there car wouldn't no the first thing about how to handle a car and with 20's you WILL loose ship loads of cornering grip but if you just want a cruiser then fine but if you want to use that car a little harder or go on track days you'd be kidding your self to run 20,'s no matter how expensive the tyre you put on it is

Also in the wet a 18" rim will give a hell of a lot more grip than a 20 as you need side wall flex for grip a 20" rime will have a 30-35 profile witch will give you stuff all grip

If you look at any road racing car you will see that they rum a 16-18" rim. Anyway it all just depends on what you like to do with it but think carefully LOL

Lewy

no pics of the car yet sorrry. i will get some when i get home on thursday.

the car will be mainly a show car but i would like to turbo it eventually.

Personally i think big rims look stupid.. But yeah, besides that there is the handling aswell. Also if you're a p plater you're probably just asking for the cops to target you and then they'll go over your car looking for anything to get you on lol.

you need to fit spacers as has been said to fit post AU wheels to a pre AU. these spacers need to bolt to the standard studs and the spacers have a set of stud that attach the wheel. you cant use the old style spacers that sandwich between the hub and wheel as these are illegal and dont leave enough of the stud do safety do the wheel nuts up. also keep in mind that the profile of 20" tyres have little sidewall to flex and absorb impacts from pot holes which can damage both rim and tyre. griz pm me if you want to know anything else about tyre/wheel fitments. ive spent most of my life in the tyre industry

You will probably find its the backspace thats the problem. The newer cars have more than the older ones. Is there a change in rolling diameter for the 20s you want because that will stuff your speedo up. And like previously mentioned a crap ride.

thanks all.

another question.

my sisters fiance said this guys son put an ef/el dash in his xf. how would i go about fitting one as they are not a perfect fit ?

BIG job changing the dash.
And the smart lock system is a friggin nightmare.

Look at a XF ghia dash if you want to upgrade.
They are all electric etc and don't look too bad at all.

bringing this thread up again.

this car is becoming a project car.

so does anyone know anything about what needs to be done to fit a 302 or 351 into a XF ? i will most likely go talk to some engineers and auto-electricians about it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back