Yabbies (sorry long post)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i'll feed it prawns, its only a baby and i dont have crays

there is always going to be a certain ammount of canibalism and its always going to be worse without hides, just throw a heap of pvc pipe in, they love it, also what fish are they with?

I'm not sure what the fish's proper name is but in the aquarium they are called feeder fish.

As far as I know yabbies don't need to eat fish, or meat for that matter. Vegies like cooked carrot, pumpkin and spinach should be enough. The odd bit of fish wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't bother with live fish, just chuck in a small chunk of the cheapest fish on offer at the supermarket (or even better, carp if you can get it). AT the moment I have a Yarra Crayfish in one of my tanks. It is living well on the bits of rotting plants (mostly java moss) and the odd small piece of vegie scrap.

BTW, yabbies will escape from even the best tank. I have been amazed by the ways they find to break out. Climbing up airlines and lifting the lid (perspex) off the tank seems to be their best skill.

they seem overcrowded to me. When I bred yabbies I had two adults in a tank slightly larger than yours and when I found eggs removed the female to a separate tank. Air content shouldn't be a major issue as they can handle very low oxygen and survive.

Sometimes you can't entirely predict any animal species though. More space would be a good suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back